Join now - be part of our community!

upgrading win 98 on laptop to win xp

waleed_wc
Visitor

upgrading win 98 on laptop to win xp

Hi,
You can upgrade your laptop to windows xp but not using abother laptops recovery just like ironfist241 said, you will need a windows xp pro or home edition disk, you cant rent one form most software shops, but i dont recommend you do upgrade your laptop a 4 year old laptop will get very dozey running windows xp, well really it depends on the specifications, but when you said it had windows 98 on it, i say NO.
Email me if you have anymore questions on waleed_wc@hotmail.com
Cant promise anything

2 REPLIES 2
timkerr
Visitor

I havbe a pcg-f801 laptop that is running windows 98. It is about 4 years old. Can i upgrade to windows xp? I have a windows xp disc that i got with my Sony Vaio PCV-RS404 and was wondering if i can use that to upgrade. What do i need to do to upgrade?

Thanks

Tim

ironfist241
Visitor

well, firstly the xp disc that you have is specifically for the series of notebooks that it came with (drivers it has preinstalled are for that series) so a trouble-free install on your old notebook is highly unlikely.
secondly, this older notebook you mention, im not sure of the specs but if its a 4 year old notebook then its hit or miss whether it is within the required specs for running xp.

best of luck if you do have a crack at it

GR