Join now - be part of our community!

Getting Started

samwardill
Visitor

Getting Started

I bought my Vaio today. I connected it as described in the instructions. I switched it on as described and I see the Vaio logo then the Win XP start up screen. When the boot process has completed the screen goes blank and I can't get it to do anything. I have looked at the troubleshooting and I can't see any solution.

11 REPLIES 11
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi samwardill and welcome to Club VAIO.

Not a brilliant start with your new Vaio!

Could be lots of things! If you bought your Vaio from a retail shop like PC World, you should return it for a repair or replacement.

If you would have to ship it back for repair, then it may be worth checking that your memory module(s) are seated properly as this is a likely cause.

If you can't find the instructions for removing/installing memory modules, you can reply with your Vaio model number and I can point you in the right direction!

:wink:

BartK
Visitor

What Vaio?
What screen?
How connected?
Tried with another screen already?
Please provide more info before thinking something is wrong with the PC immediatelly. All Vaio's pass several quality checks before they are shipped. During shipping stuff still can go wrong, I agree, but still...

profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

Hi Samwardill welcome to the forum!

Brat K:
Blencogo has already suggested he reply with his model no.

As for what screen, connection etc read your own sig....

"Imagination is more important than knowledge"

Use some.

William
Visitor

Hi Samwardill welcome to the forum!

Brat K:
Blencogo has already suggested he reply with his model no.

As for what screen, connection etc read your own sig....

"Imagination is more important than knowledge"

Use some.

:laughing:

The display obviously works because you can see the XP logo :cool:

I would run the recovery disks but I don't suppose they were supplied and the recovery files lie peacefully slumbering on the HDD.

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Well I'm going to put a positive spin on this, as everyone's running to the PC World or their retailers!

Put in your recovery DVD1 and start your VAIO, press F10 when it says VAIO, then follow the on-screen instructions.

Hopefully this is just a case of a badly installed OS

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

I suppose the real point here is should you have to do any of this with a Vaio bought today and that doesn't work out of the box?

:thinking:

kee-lo_

I suppose the real point here is should you have to do any of this with a Vaio bought today and that doesn't work out of the box?

:thinking:

I agree, but in this day and age the less agro we have the better

samwardill
Visitor

As someone pointed out. It doesn't come with a recovery disk. Sony support on the phone were no use. They promised an engineer would call back and he hasn't. I think it is going back to John Lewis.

Just for interest. I can now get it to start by frigging around with F8 and choosing VGA mode. This is not a simple procedure and I seem to have to do it each time I switch the machine on. Even using this frig I can't watch TV as Media Player does not work with the VGA drivers!!!

kee-lo_

Yeah have a word with John Lewis, maybe they'll put preasure on Sony