Join now - be part of our community!

Graphics drivers policy

Holmlund
Visitor

Graphics drivers policy

I have a Vaion S2XP, puchased around Oct 25th this year. It is a wonderful machine and as far as I know there is no competitor that can provide even close to this level of performance at this weight!
In particular, I appreciate the ATI Mobility 9700 graphics card that makes this 1.8kg machine in to a rather advanced graphics workstations.

However, the graphics drivers are OLD and do not support recent shaders, and ATI generic drivers refuse to be insalled.
So, WHEN will new drivers from Sony be out?

For me this is absolutely crucial as I am a computer graphics researchers and I specifically purchased the S2XP to be able to run shader programs at seminars and conferences. This is now not at all possible, and I can't tell you how disappointed I am.
However, as disappointed as I am now, I will be equally happy if you resolve this promptly.

16 REPLIES 16
profile.country.GB.title
jammold
Explorer

I have a Vaion S2XP, puchased around Oct 25th this year. It is a wonderful machine and as far as I know there is no competitor that can provide even close to this level of performance at this weight!

Another happy customer!:smileygrin:

However, the graphics drivers are OLD and do not support recent shaders, and ATI generic drivers refuse to be insalled.

Probably not for a long time, unofficial OmegaDrivers may be your best bet, or the TCMagazine drivers, these, however, are not endorsed by Sony or ATi. Sony do not "do" updates. Sorry I know this is not what you want to hear.

If you want the official drivers then you could be waiting a very long time...

IMPORTANT: The drivers listed on ATi's home page are for DESKTOP computers, not notebooks and require modification for use with the Radeon chipset.

TygerTyger
Visitor

Take a look in the notebooks section, I started a thread regarding 3rd party drivers which should do as you need, provided you don't mind takin a little risk as James said.

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_
TygerTyger
Visitor

Ooooh Mister Helpful :smileygrin:.

kee-lo_

LOL

Kee-Lo for moderator?

profile.country.GB.title
jammold
Explorer

DEFINATELY!:smileylaugh: :smileygrin:

Kee-Lo for King lol:smileycowboy:

kee-lo_

No thanks James, did you see what happened to Kings during the revolution in France?

profile.country.GB.title
jammold
Explorer

Strange, I didn't consider that fact...LOL:smileywink: I thought you would make a great moderator.:smileygrin:

kee-lo_

I probably would
Long time since I have modded.