Join now - be part of our community!

Green light on but not starting--FE21H

profile.country.en_IE.title
spmom2208
Visitor

Green light on but not starting--FE21H

I have and FE21H. Recently I tried to do VAIO update. It had a message of "do not turn off during update". I accidentally turned it off, now all I get when i switch it on are staedy green light and a dead screen and computer. What happened? Is it done with? I need a solution. I had created a recovery discs for applications and systems but they dont seem to work.

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.de_BE.title
stephanius
Visitor

Hello Spmom2208,

if you turned off the system while it was updating the BIOS and then get the symptom you describe, it's indeed likely that the BIOS is non-functional. That means nothing physical is broken, but the BIOS - which is required to start the system and then hand off control to Windows or your alternative operating system of choice - is incomplete and cannot do it's job.

Unfortunately, that also means that even the repair centre cannot fix this without swapping the mainboard or doing expensive board level repairs.

Considering the age of the machine, this is most likely a total economical loss. I recommend to buy a new notebook - they are much cheaper and more powerful today - and of course come with nice and shiny new warranty.

For example E Series VAIO Notebooks, 15" starting from £478.

http://www.sony.co.uk/product/vn-e-series

Kind regards, Stephan.

profile.country.en_IE.title
spmom2208
Visitor

Thanks Stephan,

I guess the core truth always hurts most.

is it possible to buy and replace the BIOS chip?

i guess i'll learn how to on this motherboard

regards