Join now - be part of our community!

Grey Screen

Rothwell
Visitor

Grey Screen

My A417S now has an all grey screen, all the time. I have the suspicion that it is the lcd module. Unfortunately , the computer is just out of warranty. Is this a regular problem with VAIOs, or am I just unlucky (considering the warrany expired only a month or so ago)? I have to ask because, cash strapped as I am, I'm not sure whether the pc is worth gettng repaired or if just buying a cheap screen and using the pc as a desktop is now a better option.

Cheers for the help/advice.

18 REPLIES 18
profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Could be a few things:

The inverter
The LCD cable

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

How far are you from North Finchley?

May be worth a phone call HERE

:wink:

Rothwell
Visitor

Not far - Holloway in fact.

I've already had someone take a look, but they couldn't be sure if it was the module or the inverter or the motherboard. But as we speak, the screen is now working again - which I think suggests the inverter rather than the lcd module or the motherboard. Maybe it was just a loose connection somewhere.

I'll keep an eye on it over the weekend and hope that it was a loose connection. I'll give the number a call if not.

Cheers.

kee-lo_

If it's a loose cable it won't cost you more than £20, if it's the inverter, could be around £100-150, if it's the LCD, then it's expensive, anywhere from £250 upwards

Rothwell
Visitor

Hi Guys,

Just a final word on this. The computer doctors tell me that it's a problem with the chipset and can't be repaired.

I find this extremely disappointing, particularly as it's a very expensive piece of kit, it is only just out of warranty and Sony (obviously) won't do anything about it. I was going to upgrade early next year to another Vaio unit, but won't consider another Sony now. I know that I can get pretty much the same gear at a much lower price, and with a much better warranty without spending anything more. Or maybe a Mac this time around.

Thanks for the help on this. Only sorry there wasn't a better resolution.

Cheers.

kee-lo_

That's bad that, specially as it's an integral part of the VAIO. What did they say, asked you for money?

Rothwell
Visitor

Hi Kee-lo,

No fix, no fee (fortunately). I took Blencogo's advice and traipsed up to the computer doctors in Finchley. Other than that, there is not much that I can do. Sony want £560 to repair it (under their fixed fee system) and as I was going to upgrade early next year anyway (initially to an AR model, but not a Sony now) I thought I'd save my pennies and wait until then.

The only bit of semi-good news in all this is that I can still use an external screen (why? I don't know). But that sort of defeats the purpose of having a laptop, really.

PS. have replied on the other thread as well. Cheers.

kee-lo_

So if you can use the other screen, it's not the chipset, because if the graphics card goes then nothing should work at all! The BIOS wouldn't let you proceed, let me know what you think techs and other VAIO Experts.

Rothwell
Visitor

Hi,

Yes, interesting, isn't it? I posted my other comments after having talked to the technician who was looking at it for me, but hadn't thought to ask if it still worked when plugged in to an external screen (I found that out once I got it home again). Also, whilst out shopping for a monitor (I'm plugged into my Hitachi LCD TV at present which is not ideal) someone else told me they didn't think it was the chipset either.

Being only an end user and knowing nothing about the insides (does that make me shallow?) I would be grateful for any advice ...