Join now - be part of our community!

Grey Screen

Rothwell
Visitor

Grey Screen

My A417S now has an all grey screen, all the time. I have the suspicion that it is the lcd module. Unfortunately , the computer is just out of warranty. Is this a regular problem with VAIOs, or am I just unlucky (considering the warrany expired only a month or so ago)? I have to ask because, cash strapped as I am, I'm not sure whether the pc is worth gettng repaired or if just buying a cheap screen and using the pc as a desktop is now a better option.

Cheers for the help/advice.

18 REPLIES 18
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

I tend to agree with Kee-Lo as the Graphics Chip obviously still works with the VGA output. It smacks of a poor connection somewhere between the chipset and the screen.

I don't know if the VGA output uses different circuitry within the chip - but I think I would try booting into Safe Mode or VGA Mode and see if the screen works with a VGA resolution.
(Tap F8 when booting at the Vaio Logo, go to Safe Mode or go down to VGA Mode and hit Enter).

:thinking:

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

I would also agree with Kee-Lo. If an external monitor works then I doubt that there is a problem with the graphic chipset. I suspect that you have a problem with either the inverter (general failure or cabling problem) or the LCD circuitry.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
Rothwell
Visitor

I tend to agree with Kee-Lo as the Graphics Chip obviously still works with the VGA output.  It smacks of a poor connection somewhere between the chipset and the screen.

I don't know if the VGA output uses different circuitry within the chip - but I think I would try booting into Safe Mode or VGA Mode and see if the screen works with a VGA resolution.
(Tap F8 when booting at the Vaio Logo, go to Safe Mode or go down to VGA Mode and hit Enter).

Tried the safe mode boot up, but as I can't see what's going on even from boot-up (the screen is always grey, and the external screen doesn't start up until the Windows blue screen kicks in), I don't know if I'm actually doing anything.

Any pointers as to how I can get to safemode blind?

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

You can get into Safe mode blind by just hitting Enter (it is the default) but I don't think it will work if you cannot see the Boot Options Screen which is 640 X 480 VGA. I presume you see nothing on boot - even the Vaio Logo and you won't know if you are in the Boot Options Screen or not.

I think Rich is right in his analysis of the problem.

When you say you have a Grey Screen, is this different from a Black Screen? Is the backlight illuninating at all?

EDIT: This probably doesn't help but if you look at this Exploded View of an A-Series you can see the Inverter (1019) and the LCD wiring harness (1003). It is not your exact model but I'm sure it will be similar.

:slight_frown:

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

I am wondering if a new inverter board would sort you out? But, and this is a big but, if it was just the inverter, then you'd be able to see a picture by shining a torch?

Rothwell
Visitor

The screen looks as though I have chosen the 50% grey colour for the background. The screen is lit and the contrast is still adjustable (i.e. I get a brighter grey when I push the little sun button above the laptop keyboard). I can't see an image if I shine a torch on to the screen either (so perhaps not the power inverter?).

The only other thing I can think to tell you is that when the problem first occurred, the screen flickered back into life after a few minutes. However, when I rebooted the machine, the grey screen returned (this happened twice early on, but now there is nothing but grey).

Blencogo: thanks for the diagramme, but I think I would only make matters worse were I to look inside ... :smileygrin:. However, I assume that the computer doctor guys did this when giving me the verdict of a broken chipset (?).

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

I don't know, not 100% convinced with what you were told, but as I've not seen it, then it's hard to say, but it's usually all or nothing with chipsets.

Rothwell
Visitor

With my very limited knowledge of electronics, I wonder if it could be a physical connection on the board itself (sort of like a bit of loose solder or whatever is used these days).

I did, however, get a call from Sony today which I unfortunately missed. They are going to call back tomorrow, so I will see what they say.

vhindo
Visitor

I also have a grey screen .I deared to open it up but i saw no loose connections in as far as the screen conxns are concerned. So today i am going to go deeper . I am currently using my tv as the screen and everything works perfectly fine except that screen, it does light up though . Very disappointed with the product i would have expected better from a brand such as sony.