Join now - be part of our community!

hard drive problem

SLEE
Visitor

hard drive problem

i think my hard drive might be failing but im not sure. it seems to be chugging along very slowly. everything takes forever to do.

are there any programs i can run to check my hard drive? ive run scandisk but it didnt pick anything up?

could it be windows?

its just typical as my warranty ran out a couple of months ago - just to check is the hard drive guaranteed for one year?

can i take it anywhere to be checked if so how much will it cost?

18 REPLIES 18
ash25
Visitor

Hi SLEE u may have already tried this, but if u havent then difrag ur hard drive and c what happens.
Good luck let us know what happens anyway.

profile.country.de_DE.title
seb21__
Visitor

Mmmh, you can download Everest Home Edition .

Start Everest and click "Storage" and "SMART".
If you see only "value is normal" and "always passing", then you HDD should be OK.

Make a complete scandisk(with checking the free space and repairing) on drive C: and defrag your HDD after that.

HTH

SLEE
Visitor

ye ive defragged both drives ( as standard the drive is partitioned ) and nothing came up.

every now and then i get a kernal error saying disk read error. my computer is sooooooo slow.

seb21__
Visitor

every now and then i get a kernal error saying disk read error. my computer is sooooooo slow.

Safe all important files which you have on the HDD now! Burn it on a CD or safe it a USB or MemoryStick.
It could be that your HDD is nearly death. And it could be that you HDD died forever in some minutes or hours.
But I'm not sure. After that, try to recover the system completly. If it not solve the problem, then you need a new HDD.

SLEE
Visitor

ye ie backed everything up so im ok there just annoying as im only just out of my warranty ive literally had the laptop for 1 year and a month 😞

anyone know where to get a hard drive?

seb21__
Visitor

ye ie backed everything up so im ok there just annoying as im only just out of my warranty ive literally had the laptop for 1 year and a month
That is really sad, because we here in german have two years warranty.:smileysad:

Try ebuyer. They have good prices. click me

the drives from Hitachi are good.

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Isn't there usually a grace period? Or is that if you report it within the year?

seb21__
Visitor

Isn't there usually a grace period?

Yeah, maybe he should ask VAIO-Link.

SLEE
Visitor

Isn't there usually a grace period?

Yeah, maybe he should ask VAIO-Link.

ive submitted a support request. how long does it usually take for someone to pick it up?