Join now - be part of our community!

Hard Drive Size

jinda
Visitor

Hard Drive Size

Having purchased my VGN S3HP, whilst the stated specification is 60gb when I check the hard drive sizes split between C - (Free 19.1gb total 27.9gb) D (Free 20.9gb total 20.9)

I have not added any new applications onto my machine and have only 3 music cds stored on the hard drive. But have only 40gig of hard drive capacity left.

Does this have anything to do with Sonys recovery system as I have noted that the display model also had around 20gig less than the stated spec of 60gig.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

in addition can someone please tell me how to personalise the s1 and s2 buttons.

Thks

26 REPLIES 26
profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Yes, it's the recovery system thats using all this space.

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

To change the S button function click Start > All Programs > Vaio Control Centre and select the control item.
Your on-line manual gives details.
Link

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
jinda
Visitor

does this mean that i can only save 40gig worth of information on my hard drive or is there a way to actually utilise the full 60gig.

it seems very misleading from sony to state that the machine has a 60gig hard drive when in the fact the actual "real" size is 40gig

profile.country.de_DE.title
seb21__
Visitor

Little correction. A lot people don't know that a harddisk with 60 GB has NOT 60 GigaByte.

That are GigaBit and NOT GigaByte.

Approx 57GigaByte are possible with your drive (without a file system). Only approx 55,8Gigabyte with NTFS5.

kee-lo_

You can, but I really suggest keeping it for a good month or so, and make AT LEAST 2 copies of the recovery partition or Sony will want 70 Euros if they go wrong.

profile.country.de_DE.title
seb21__
Visitor

Kee-Lo has right.

Delete this hidden partition first, if you need the complete HDD size.

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

To delete the hidden partition you need to carry out a system restore using the disks that you should have burned by now. Use the advanced recovery option and choose to remove the recovery partition.
Having said that, until you are running out of disk space there is little point as this recovery partition is your life line if all goes belly up and your recovery disks fail.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
kee-lo_

Erm, Seb, make the disks then delete is the best policy :laughing:

hldomster
Visitor

Little correction. A lot people don't know that a harddisk with 60 GB has NOT 60 GigaByte.

That are GigaBit and NOT GigaByte.

Approx 57GigaByte are possible with your drive (without a file system). Only approx 55,8Gigabyte with NTFS5.

I find this hard to believe as 1 gigabit is only 0.125 gigabytes, meaning that if Sony advertised a 60 gigabit hard drive it would only be 7.5 gigabytes.