Join now - be part of our community!

Hard Drive Size

jinda
Visitor

Hard Drive Size

Having purchased my VGN S3HP, whilst the stated specification is 60gb when I check the hard drive sizes split between C - (Free 19.1gb total 27.9gb) D (Free 20.9gb total 20.9)

I have not added any new applications onto my machine and have only 3 music cds stored on the hard drive. But have only 40gig of hard drive capacity left.

Does this have anything to do with Sonys recovery system as I have noted that the display model also had around 20gig less than the stated spec of 60gig.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

in addition can someone please tell me how to personalise the s1 and s2 buttons.

Thks

26 REPLIES 26
profile.country.de_DE.title
seb21__
Visitor

But the same harddisk, LOL.

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

True

mvanwambeke
Visitor

You forgot to include the file table
- NTFS table or FAT table

Depending on you size of you HDD and the amount of partitions , the table will take 7-8% of you HDD space , count with that the 7gig that you have for the Recovery files , there you have your full space

mvanwambeke
Visitor

True but people need to realise it's not 60GB when formatted with Windows.

My previous explanation is actually the same than what Kee-Lo stated here

seb21__
Visitor

You forgot to include the file table 
- NTFS table or FAT table

Depending on you size of you HDD and the amount of partitions , the table will take 7-8% of you HDD space , count with that the 7gig that you have for the Recovery files , there you have your full space

If I'm think right, then that is only on a formatted HDD. Is the drive not formatted, then there is nothing like this on the HDD. Only zeros or anything.

BTW, Windows shows only the complete size. NTFS, FAT table or maybe the MFT (which use 12% of the partition on a HDD in the standart configuration) are including. (correct me, if I'm wrong)

mvanwambeke
Visitor

BTW, Windows shows only the complete size. NTFS, FAT table or maybe the MFT (which use 12% of the partition on a HDD in the standart configuration) are including. (correct me, if I'm wrong)

Sorry, it is indeed so that the total disk size is displayed in Windows.
The only way the File table would be noticed would be to empty the partition totally and then take the difference between the total size and the available size.

seb21__
Visitor

That's what I mean. A other way to see the useable size on the partiton is to use O&O defrag.

click me