Join now - be part of our community!

Harddisk Speed 4200rpm - enough?

schnoppel
Visitor

Harddisk Speed 4200rpm - enough?

Hi, I love my two weeks old VGN-A215Z with the great display! But sometimes I am thinking, if it would be better to have a faster hard disk inside. What do you think? Ist the speed enough? I use the notebook mainly for office application during my worktime and for desktop publishing and multimedia function (watching dvd and listening to my MP3 Collection) in my spare time when not working (what rarely is the case :cry:
I am not a gamer but more a workaholic.
So is more hard disk speed interesting for me? Greetings, Kai

9 REPLIES 9
TygerTyger
Visitor

For what you do with it, it really wouldn't make a huge amount of difference. If you play around with large files, play recent games etc then it would make more of a difference. Either way, if you want a speed boost RAM is really the first place to look.

feederfan
Visitor

It does make a difference, Opening files on my VAIO notebook takes much longer than on my desktop which has a high spec 7200rpm drive. However, if your VAIO had a 7200rpm hard drive the HDD would use nearly twice as much power. This is the main reason why they dont use them, because the battery life would be awful

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

I would leave it be, 4200RPM is fast enough for your applications.

lordpercy
Visitor

Unless you are after doing some serious video editing 7200 is a bit of an overkill, we use 7200 SATA disks for video applications but desktops are all 4200 ish, normally a slow machine benifits more from memory.

LP
Lordpercy.com - Gadgets and New Technology

schnoppel
Visitor

Hi together, anks for your Information! I leave it as it is. The argument of more power supply, when using faster hard, makes absolutely sense. Didn´t think of this, to be honest. Maybe I will take more RAM but not yet as it is enough for my daily work :wink: Greetings, Kai from Kassel (W.Germany)!

Foxhound
Visitor

The Hitachi Travelstar at 7200 rpm uses almost the same amount of energy as a 4200 rpm. But you have almost twice the access speed. The only let down is that the Hitachi comes only in a 60GB size whereas the 5400 rpm comes in 80 GB
You will notice a faster hdd when you start up your notebook.
But for your use of the laptop a 4200 rpm is ok.
If you render and edit movies in premier a fast hdd is a MUST.
For some other good advice on this issue check out the following link:
http://www4.tomshardware.com/mobile/20031031/

kee-lo_

I have a 7200 in my desktop.
Most computers have 5400RPM, it's only notebooks which have 4200RPM.

Foxhound
Visitor

Well I actually had the 80 GB 5400rpm when I had my notebook delivered. The I changed it's HDD to 60BG 7200rpm and put the old 80gb in an external casing that so I am able to connect the HDD via firewire or USB 2.0
That way u can still have some use for your old HDD.
:smileygrin:

kee-lo_

Nice