Join now - be part of our community!

Harddrive upgrade on S5M

Audette
Visitor

Harddrive upgrade on S5M

Hey,

I want to upgrade my 80GB HDD to a 120GB on my laptop. Since all the recovery media is on the hard drive itself how would I get it to the new hard disk? I know that I can create a recovery CD but will this allow me to install windows and all software on to the new hdd? Also In my new hdd will I be able to create a hidden partition which will contain the recovery data (just in case) ??

Thanks in advance.

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Audette,

If you create the Vaio Recovery Discs you can then set up your new drive - but it will be just as it was when you bought your Vaio and you will lose all your extra programs and data.

The best way is to buy a copy of Acronis True Image and make a mirror of your hard drive which you can put back on the new drive exactly as it is now - including the Recovery Partition. You can copy this Image to an external hard drive or to bootable DVDs.

Acronis True Image

You may also wish to get an external enclosure so you can continue to use your existing hard drive through the USB connection.

:wink:

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Yeah you'd need a 2.5" enclosure, but you should be able to get one at Maplins.

Audette
Visitor

Thanks for that suggestion.

Can I boot from an external hard drive though??

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

No but with Acronis, you can make a bootable CD which will start your Vaio and allow you to restore from an external hard drive.

:slight_smile: