Join now - be part of our community!

heat and fan on vgn-s5vp

profile.country.en_NL.title
zitueni
Visitor

heat and fan on vgn-s5vp

i have noticed, that the fan on my vgn-s5vp almost never stops. i have the feeling, the minute i start up the laptop it goes on full-speed and stays like that. even when i'm not using the machine.
i also noticed, that is bottom of the laptop is very hot. so hot that I can't put it in my lap

10 REPLIES 10
ph-m
Visitor

look for my post on overheating??? there are some good pointers in there

profile.country.en_GB.title
robpaxton
Explorer

Check task manager (Ctrl - Shift - Esc) and find out if any programs are using a lot of CPU time. Also run a spyware and antivirus check to make sure that the computer isn't running malware.

There is also a BIOS upgrade for the S5 on Vaio Link which supposedly addresses some overheating issues. You should be able to access this from Vaio update, alternatively visit this link and check the drivers/updates area.

zitueni
Visitor

Can u give me the link pls.

zitueni
Visitor

The "system idle process" is taking the most of the cpu power. It reaches somrtimes 97 (whatever this figure means).
On the perfomance tab. the CPU usage seems to be normal. Between 10 & 4% when idle.

kee-lo_

That's fine, it always does this.
I would suggest scanning for spyware and adware with Spybot Search And Destroy from killa.de and Adaware

robpaxton
Explorer

The BIOS update is at http://www.vaio-link.com

You should also be able to get it using Vaio Update.

zitueni
Visitor

I already did that. did not help

robpaxton
Explorer

You could download & run Mobilemeter - let us know what temperature is being reported.

zitueni
Visitor

The temperature varies between 52 and 56 degrees. But Ihave noticed, that whenever i even move the mouse, the fan accelerates