Join now - be part of our community!

HELP! Bought XL100 Multimedia centre but can't connect to TV

Chuckmobile
Visitor

HELP! Bought XL100 Multimedia centre but can't connect to TV

Can anyone help with what I hope is a straightforward question. I have just purchased an XP100 which I want to connect to a Samsung LCD TV about 1 yr old. Problem is, I can't seem to connect it. There is a scart input, a co-axial input, an S-Video input and 3 individual inputs for video and l/r audio. Despite this, the XL100 seems to have just one output with a connection I have never seen before.

I bought this from John Lewis who gave me a helpline number, but unbelievably for an organisation the size of Sony there appears to be no help outside of 9 - 5 on weekdays. Is there a cable I can buy?

10 REPLIES 10
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Chuckmobile and welcome to the Club,

The XL 100 has Component Video outputs and HDMI outputs. To work properly you really need to use the HDMI connection.

Does your TV have any other inputs apart from Scart, S-Video and Composite Video?

:thinking:

Chuckmobile
Visitor

Thanks for the welcome and the response! I'm having a nightmare... but to answer the question I also have a PC (D-SUB) female connectoir - it looks like a VGA to me.

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

I'd wait for a second opinion or contact Vaio-Link on Monday - but as far as I can see, you will not be able to connect unless your TV has HDMI, DVI or Component Video.

:slight_frown:

Chuckmobile
Visitor

That sounds expensive... perhaps an adapter might do the trick if I can find one... or a refund.

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Pity the Sales people or the advertising blurb aren't fully honest and up front about this.

Connectivity seems a problem if you cannot connect to a reasonably modern LCD TV.

:slight_frown:

sammyh25
Visitor

You will need to return the Vaio, you can't use it!!!

I have been down this road already. I have a Panasonic Plasma TV which has an HDMI connection but the Vaio refuses to work with this. I also have a PC port on the TV, like yourself, but you can't connect the VAIO to this port either, you cannot buy a lead that goes from HDMI to VGA, have tried it and failed miserably!!!

Luckily I have component connection on the back of my TV so I can use them as a last resort. This Vaio is a good machine but a nightmare to connect, why Sony didn't provide a VGA/PC port I will never know. You will also not get much help from Vaio Link. In my experience I knew more about the system than them, they just wasted my time and ran uo my phone bill with their useless advice.

Cut, your losses, take the unit back and get a full refund.

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Loads of people have complained about the XL on this site. Makes me want to steer clear (as if I can afford it too! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :smileylaugh:)

lowedb
Visitor

You will need to return the Vaio, you can't use it!!!  

I have been down this road already. I have a Panasonic Plasma TV which has an HDMI connection but the Vaio refuses to work with this. I also have a PC port on the TV, like yourself, but you can't connect the VAIO to this port either, you cannot buy a lead that goes from HDMI to VGA, have tried it and failed miserably!!!

Luckily I have component connection on the back of my TV so I can use them as a last resort. This Vaio is a good machine but a nightmare to connect, why Sony didn't provide a VGA/PC port I will never know. You will also not get much help from Vaio Link. In my experience I knew more about the system than them, they just wasted my time and ran uo my phone bill with their useless advice.

Cut, your losses, take the unit back and get a full refund.

So are you having any problems while connected via component? My machine keeps locking up if media center is running, and as you say support is non-existent.

I agree with the poster, take it back and get a refund. Mines gong back as soon as I get a spare day to take it to the Sony Centre

Hasselhoffia
Visitor

Kinda of have to disagree with this. When looking around for my Media Center PC, the XL100 stood out as it had the HDMI connector. Plugged the HDMI cable in to my Samsung 26" LCD and we were away! Very easy.