Join now - be part of our community!

HELP downgrading VGN-N38Z/W to XP!

phalaris
Visitor

HELP downgrading VGN-N38Z/W to XP!

Hi everybody,
It was a difficult decision for me to choose Sony VAIO as there were other laptops from comptetitor brands which came with XP. But I stumbed upon this link:
http://www.vaio-link.com/os/xp/downgrade/index.asp?site=voe_en_IE_cons
and I trusted Sony's professionalism that nothing would go wrong. But actually, when I got my laptop, registered it and tried to enter the details it didn't work. According to tech support they don't support downgrades for this series of laptops. I guess since it "only" cost me 1k euro it's not nearly as important as the business laptops. Nice start.

So now I'm relying on the goodwill of fellow VAIO owners for advice. I need a full list of drivers and their whereabouts before I can downgrade to XP. I guess the main ones are the floppy disk SATA drivers for the XP install and the network card drivers.

If anyone has any experience with downgrading any of the laptops in this series (N31X and N38X) please any advice you can give me is really appreciated.

30 REPLIES 30
profile.country.en_IE.title
jayhatchell
Visitor

Hi im having a problem with the SM Bus Controller and the Audio divice on high definition after my downgrade from vista on the n38z to xp pro sp3 all the othe drivers worked fine from the n1 but i cant get the audio or sm bus working every time i try install the audio driver i keep getting an error message also i cant update the drive from the device manger no window will open when i click update driver can any one help me

Thanks

Hello again ive just done another reinstall but the only problem im having now is the sm bus controller driver aint working everything else works fine can you help me again

Cheers

jay