Join now - be part of our community!

Help needed for presumed failed graphics card - preventing laptop booting?

profile.country.en_GB.title
clairm85
Visitor

Help needed for presumed failed graphics card - preventing laptop booting?

I've been running a Vaio VGN-FZ38M for 4 years now with no problems, however a few nights ago the screen went blank mid-use and when I restarted I got a blue screen error stopping it from rebooting.  I ran system repair twice with no solution, and continued to get blue-screen errors preventing the laptop from booting.  I am also getting red lines on the initial black vaio screen, and green dots on the black boot-up scrern before the error kicked in.

Having got the laptop into safe mode I backdated the driver for the graphics card (Nvidia GeForce 8400M GT) to an older version but this still does not allow the laptop to start.  I've also tried a system restore to no avail.  The only way to get the laptop to boot normally is to disable the graphics card, so I presume its a graphics hardware fault.  This makes it useable but gives me great problems using certain websites and my graphics software.

I've read a lot on the web today about the 8400M card being inherently faulty and getting damaged in heat (my laptop gets particularly hot when charging), and as my model is one of the affected ones I presume this might be the problem.  When I ring Sony however, I'm told automatically that as my model is out of warranty I have to ring a premium rate number.  I find this really disappointing as I can't access a landline to do this during the hours that the support helpline is open, and I can't locate any of the 'e-support' facilities referred to in my user guide.  I find it really annoying that it's so hard to access support from such a reputable company, especially for what seems to be such a common problem.

Can anyone suggest any other ways to solve the problem, or thoughts on what might be causing it?  Or whether there is an easier way to get in touch with Sony other than the premium rate number?  I use my laptop heavily for graphics and running it with the card disabled really defeats the object of why it was puchased!

Thanks in advance, Clair

13 REPLIES 13
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Clair,

The VGN-FZ38M is one of the models that Sony acknowledge is affected by a faulty Nvidia chip.

If this is the problem it will be repaired free of charge within 4 years of purchase. You say that you have had this machine for 4 years - just under or just over?

Unfortunately the only way to make contact with Support, once out of the initial warranty, is the premium rate telephone number.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
clairm85
Visitor

Hi Rich,

Thanks for the quick response!

I've had it just over 4 years, since April 2008, so I'm probably out of luck there.  Typical!

Guess I'll have to try call Sony then and see if they have any leway, otherwise I imagine it may be more cost effective to invest in a new laptop rather than a repair.

Thanks again, Clair

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Clair,

I have requested that Support contact you. No promises but make sure that your daytime contact details are up to date.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
clairm85
Visitor

Oh thanks :slight_smile: fingers crossed then!

Thanks so much for your help

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Clair,
A case has been raised with Support: ID 6793322.
If and when contacted please make sure that the agent is aware of the fact that this refers to a VGN-FZ38M and not any other Vaio that you have or may have had in the past.
Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Clair,
There has been a bit of confusion behind the scenes on this and a new case has been raised (6793322) regarding the correct model.
It seems that, initially, contact with you will be via email. Please let us know when this happens and whether an acceptable outcome is achieved.
Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
clairm85
Visitor

Hi Rich,

Thanks for keeping me updated with this.  I received a voice message from Sony yesterday stating this case number and that they would try and call me back today, so I'm confident that the ball has started rolling!

I did have a different Vaio prior to my current model, and though I vaguely remember registering the VGN-FZ38M online I can't seem to find details of it within my Sony online account, so hopefully this isn't causing too much confusion.

Thanks for keeping an eye on the progress of this, and I will update you once I have been contacted further.

Clair

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Clair,
Your FZ38M has been registered to you – this was not the reason for the confusion...
Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
profile.country.en_IE.title
elecampb
Visitor

hi, we are having the same problem and our vaio FZ38M is just over four years old aswell, just wondering how you got on?