Join now - be part of our community!

Help needed for presumed failed graphics card - preventing laptop booting?

profile.country.en_GB.title
clairm85
Visitor

Help needed for presumed failed graphics card - preventing laptop booting?

I've been running a Vaio VGN-FZ38M for 4 years now with no problems, however a few nights ago the screen went blank mid-use and when I restarted I got a blue screen error stopping it from rebooting.  I ran system repair twice with no solution, and continued to get blue-screen errors preventing the laptop from booting.  I am also getting red lines on the initial black vaio screen, and green dots on the black boot-up scrern before the error kicked in.

Having got the laptop into safe mode I backdated the driver for the graphics card (Nvidia GeForce 8400M GT) to an older version but this still does not allow the laptop to start.  I've also tried a system restore to no avail.  The only way to get the laptop to boot normally is to disable the graphics card, so I presume its a graphics hardware fault.  This makes it useable but gives me great problems using certain websites and my graphics software.

I've read a lot on the web today about the 8400M card being inherently faulty and getting damaged in heat (my laptop gets particularly hot when charging), and as my model is one of the affected ones I presume this might be the problem.  When I ring Sony however, I'm told automatically that as my model is out of warranty I have to ring a premium rate number.  I find this really disappointing as I can't access a landline to do this during the hours that the support helpline is open, and I can't locate any of the 'e-support' facilities referred to in my user guide.  I find it really annoying that it's so hard to access support from such a reputable company, especially for what seems to be such a common problem.

Can anyone suggest any other ways to solve the problem, or thoughts on what might be causing it?  Or whether there is an easier way to get in touch with Sony other than the premium rate number?  I use my laptop heavily for graphics and running it with the card disabled really defeats the object of why it was puchased!

Thanks in advance, Clair

13 REPLIES 13
clairm85
Visitor

Hi, I spoke to Sony customer services and they were very helpful. They double checked whether or not they could offer me a repair but unfortunately couldn't, however as I was so close to 4 years they did offer me some discount if I chose tov get a new product. I'd say its worth speaking to them and checking they wont do a repair before you consider any other options, its not a cheap number but they were helpful when I got through. Good luck

chubs2007
Visitor

how can i prove its six years as sony are telling me its four so they wont fix mine if it is six im still in warrenty can any one help please

chebrews
Visitor

If you are approaching sony as a manufacture to get it resolved under the warrranty maybe its 4yrs but this is an issue nvidia have already accepted liability for and that carries a 6yr timelimit which the retailer must honor Currys then you request they resolve the issue . See the link below which gives you the process to follow, If purchase from a sony shop the raise the issue at the store..

http://www.nvidiadefect.com/sony-vaio-vgn-ar51j-t2729.html

Hope that helps

Chez

xxholleybellexx
Visitor

I have a faulty graphics card (Nvidia 8600), which eventually resulted in my Vaio not booting at all at the end of last year (problems had been ongoing for a few months but I assumed my laptop was coming to the end of its life, haha). Not until recently had I been aware of the inherently faulty Nvidia cards, one of which just so happens to be installed in my model.

I've been doing a little research on this, having also been told I'm not under warrenty for a free repair.

Seeing how the graphics card that is in the Vaio is inherently faulty, if you live in England or Wales that gives you 6 years (5 in Scotland, I think) to raise the issue as stated in the Sale of Goods Act. Incidently, Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading says that its illegal to mislead consumers about their legal rights, which is kind of what Sony are doing by telling you that you must make a complaint within 4 years...

Just a thought.