Join now - be part of our community!

HELP NEEDED!!!

lnc2005
Visitor

HELP NEEDED!!!

I have been what i call "an ideot" i just baught a Vaio FS115B and i didnt like Windows XP Home, so i backed up the drivers and documentation folders from the C: to a CDRW then i set on formating the laptop ready for Windows XP Pro.

As i was doing the Partitioning i noticed a hidden partition and thought it was wasted space... yep you guessed it i removed it and made 2 fresh partitions, i thought it was all going well until i realised there wasnt a CD containing the Vaio software that is origanaly installed

ive looked everywhere for VAIO ZONE and its not avalible for download and nither is any of the other software, is there anyway i can get my wanted software?

Thanks In Advance.

LnC

8 REPLIES 8
TygerTyger
Visitor

Oh dear. Sony might take pity on you and let you have a copy of the recovery disk if you ask nicely........bit of a long shot though. All of the software was on the hidden recovery partition and the recovery disks (should you have created them). There is no way to get them back, and it's also your copy of Windows, which you need because Sony refuse to support XP Pro and almost always insist on you making a recovery before they will take it in for repair anyway.

If they don't take pity on you, I think you'll have to pay for a new one, not especially cheap. :slight_frown:

chrisschreiner
Visitor
lnc2005
Visitor

yeah i realised about 20 seconds after i deleted the partition i could of stuck a pen in my eye from the dumbness, im a ICT Tech and should of knowen better but its the same as always "man and his new toy = no brains for a period of time" anyways im going to try and recover the information i lost, is the partition on the front or the end of the HDD do you know, if its on the end i may be able to do a surface scan and get some back, if not i may have to use someone elses vaio to get the discs from, hopefully we have one at work of the same model 😞

TygerTyger
Visitor

yeah i realised about 20 seconds after i deleted the partition i could of stuck a pen in my eye from the dumbness, im a ICT Tech and should of knowen better but its the same as always "man and his new toy = no brains for a period of time" anyways im going to try and recover the information i lost, is the partition on the front or the end of the HDD do you know, if its on the end i may be able to do a surface scan and get some back, if not i may have to use someone elses vaio to get the discs from, hopefully we have one at work of the same model 😞

The disks are, to the best of my knowledge, usually locked into the BIOS so it's one per computer. But good luck trying that.

I'm not sure how recovery disk creation works if you've lost the recovery partition. Can you do it without the partition? I don't know, but it's worth seeing because you will undoubtedly need your own recovery disk one day, aside from the fact that using someone elses is not exactly on the happy side of legality.

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

If you recover it it might not be complete

lnc2005
Visitor

The bad news is I cant recover it, the good news is I'm not really that botherd I'm a very very happy Sony customer, I have never had any of there products have to go back for repair in the 4 years I've been using them, I own Mobiles, HIFI's, Sony Clie's, Sony Vaio's, ect... all by Sony.

The only thing I'm really missing is the "click to dvd" application and "vaio zone", appart from that I'm not in no hurry to get the backup disks.

Thankyou for all your help though.

profile.country.de_DE.title
seb21__
Visitor

You can find these software only on the recovery DVDs.:smileysad:

lnc2005
Visitor

I know :cry: my bad i removed the partition never mind life goes on and im still very happy with my Vaio :smileygrin: :smileygrin: :smileygrin: