Join now - be part of our community!

Help please! urgent

tman16
Visitor

Help please! urgent

hi,

When i start up my vaio laptop i get to the enter password screen and it says its invalid but i know it works....does anyone have any ideas about how i can get in please? I tried using the user name Administrator but i dont know the password for it is there a default password for it?

Any ideas please help!!

thanks

7 REPLIES 7
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi tman16.

If you are using XP Home try the following: -

1. Boot up in Safe Mode by tapping F8 at the first Vaio Screen.
2. Log on to Windows as the Administrator - password should be blank, just hit .
2. Click Start, and then click Run.
3. In the Open box, type the following command, and then click OK:
control userpasswords2
4. Click the user account that you forgot the password for, and then click Reset Password.
5. Type a new password in both the New password and the Confirm new password boxes, and then click OK.

A word of warning - you will be unable to access any files or emails which have been encrypted under the old password. To access these (if you have any), you will have to change the password back to your original - if you can remember it !

If you are using XP Pro come back and we will try to think of something else.

:wink:

profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

Are you running XP?

Have a look Here

until someone knows a quicker way.

EDIT - Thanks Blencogo - beat me to it. Yours is an easier way than the link I included.

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Thanks Blencogo - beat me to it. Yours is an easier way than the link I included.

But mine only works for XP Home. This is very useful info for XP Pro users - I didn't know this was possible!!

Thanks Jumpy - I must remember the link

:smileythinking:

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Are you running XP?

Have a look Here

I didn't know that solution, thanks Jumpy... :wink:

tman16
Visitor

Hi tman16.

If you are using XP Home try the following: -

1. Boot up in Safe Mode by tapping F8 at the first Vaio Screen.
2. Log on to Windows as the Administrator - password should be blank, just hit .
2. Click Start, and then click Run.
3. In the Open box, type the following command, and then click OK:
control userpasswords2
4. Click the user account that you forgot the password for, and then click Reset Password.
5. Type a new password in both the New password and the Confirm new password boxes, and then click OK.

A word of warning - you will be unable to access any files or emails which have been encrypted under the old password. To access these (if you have any), you will have to change the password back to your original - if you can remember it !

If you are using XP Pro come back and we will try to think of something else.

:wink:

yer im using xp pro and i tried using a blak password but it doesnt work

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

You will have to try the link in Jumpy's answer.

When you set up XP Pro you must create an Administrator password and you cannot get into your Vaio without it.

You need to try the fix in that link and you will need an XP Pro disc - if you don't have one, you may need to borrow one from a friend.

:slight_frown:

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi tman16

Blencogo's solution should still work in XP pro, are there any other user names listed with administrator account status that has a password that you remember, if so, try logging on to one of those..