Join now - be part of our community!

Help !!! VAIO won't start after BIOS upgrade to R0220DA

profile.country.en_GB.title
faithx

Help !!! VAIO won't start after BIOS upgrade to R0220DA

Hi Guys.

I was prompted to apply an update to the BIOS on my VAIO, after I did this it won't start now !

The model number on the back of my VAIO is SVF152C29M, although if I press the ASSIST button and go into the BIOS setup it reports the machine name as SVF1521C5E, not sure why that is different ?

The VAIO is running Windows 8.1 and has all available updates applied.

Last night I booted up the system and was prompted to upgrade the BIOS to version R0220DA, so I followed the instructions, but when the system restarted it came up with the white VAIO logo and the little spinning circle of white dots, but after a few seconds the spinnning circle of dots just freezes.

So, the problem has clearly been caused by the update, but how do I fix it ?

Please help !!!!!!

Faith x

10 REPLIES 10
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Faith,

Hope you are keeping well.

Unfortunately, as far as I am aware, under these circumstances there is little that you can do personally to fix it. You can try removing the battery (if this is possible with this notebook) and power adapter, then hold down the power button for 30 seconds – reattach battery and power adaptor and attempt to boot.

If this fails to make a difference then a call to support will be necessary – I assume that the unit is still within warranty.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
faithx

Hi Rich,

I'm very well thank you, I hope things are good with you too and Happy New Year :slight_smile:

I have just given that a try, but I still have the same problem.  I have used that trick before on other VAIO where it failed to boot at all, i.e. just a black screen and no ability to get into the BIOS etc.  In this case it's getting further than that, i.e. I can get into the VAIO Care (Rescue Mode) screen and the BIOS setup, so it looks like the BIOS is booting ok.  I am going to back up my user data now, in case I need to run a Rescue, but I would really prefer not to do that.  The notebook is only 6 months old so still under warranty.

It's a bit concerning that I simply applied a recommended update and now the system won't boot !, it would be good to know if anyone else has applied this BIOS update successfully without any issues.

Faith x

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Faith,

I’ve been better but that's another story...

It’s encouraging that you are able to open the Vaio Care rescue mode. Have you tried the Automatic Repair – under Advanced Options? It may also be worth trying Safe Mode.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
faithx

Hi Rich,

I've tried the Automatic Repair, but that just produces "Your PC did not start correclty" and suggests to try a Restart (that doesn't help) or to try the "Advanced Options".

I've tried to boot in "safe mode" after finding instructions on how to enable this from the URL below, but that just leads to the same problem, i.e. the VAIO splash screen and eventually the frozen spinning dots.

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/repair-recovery/a/force-or-stop-safe-mode-windows.htm 

Getting desparate now !  Do you know what the "Refresh Your PC" option does in the Troubleshoot menu under Advanced Options ?, it says it won't lose my files, but I'll backup first just in case !

Faith x

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Faith,

I have no direct experience of the recovery options available in Windows 8, but as it happens, Blencogo, Thal and I had a recent discussion about this – following various members running in to problems after carrying out a refresh.

The consensus, mainly provided by Blencogo, was that:
Only Apps downloaded from the Windows Store will be kept. All other Apps will be removed (this includes all Sony Preinstalled software).
My Documents folder is kept but other files/photos/videos are lost.
I think Sony Drivers and Utilities are also lost. I am not clear as to if
the Recovery Partition is lost also, requiring the purchase of Recovery
Discs.

The last Item is probably only relevant if you have not created your own recovery media, but a full backup would be advisable.

Hope this helps. If not Blencogo may be able to provide further info.

If you haven’t spoken to support as yet this may be the next course of action.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat

Guys I need help the model in the screen and the back of my laptop is different and the laptop does not start after the BIOS upgrade. What should I do?
Soli2014
Explorer

Hi all, Can you please help me to find a way to access to BIOS setup windows 8.1 Sony VAIO SVF14N2C4E?
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Soli21014,

To access the BIOS with Windows 8/8.1 on a Vaio, press the assist button when fully shut down. You will then be presented with the following screen – press F2 to enter BIOS setup.

Rescue mode - assist button.JPG

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
Soli2014
Explorer

Thanks a lot!