Join now - be part of our community!

Home networking

Josh-2552
Visitor

Home networking

i want to set up a wireless network between my desktop and laptop, and possibly my other pc, although that is not important. anyway, i ran the wizard on both my laptop and desktop, and created a workgroup. However, i cannot access the workgroup from either of the machines.

i have created one before, between my 2 desktops, and i just don't know why i cant get it to work. please help me as i am having to use msn between them both, and as i need to be at both machines, it totally gets rid of the whole wireless idea!

any help would be greatly appreciated.

one thing that may be the cause is that my laptop has sp2, and my desktop has sp1 (it is not verified serial key)

thanks, Josh

20 REPLIES 20
profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

I think you need to check they're both connecting to the router and that file and printer sharing is enabled

Josh-2552
Visitor

2 problems; i cant upgrade sp1 as it is not lajit windows, also, there is only one ethernet port in the router; there is a usb though.

both are connected to the router, as it is the internet "gateway", and they both have internet access.

i shall take all the advice given about file sharing enablement, and firewall allowing. i shall let you know how i get on :smileygrin:

thanks for all your help, even if i can't get it to work, Josh

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Is it not the preinstalled Windows that came with the VAIO?

Josh-2552
Visitor

the VAIO laptop home edition is lajit, but my desktop was personally built, and the windows cannot be verificated, so i am assuming it is not lajit. (the desktop is not VAIO, or any brand, but i know the guy, so i can always get the new version of windows)

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Can you 'Ping' the other computer both  ways?  Ping the loopback first on 127.0.0.1 to check your TCP/IP configuration is OK.  Then try Pinging the other PCs IP address.

To Ping the loopback, go to the cmd prompt and type

Ping 127.0.0.1

See if you get four replies.

Repeat with the IP address of the other computer - then try to ping your computer from the other one. This will establish if there is a connection to the other device.

On both PCs, go to Network Connections and right-click on your LAN or Wireless Connection and choose Properties. Highlight 'Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)' and select Properties. Under General>Advanced>IP Settings make sure DCHP is enabled and under General>Advanced>WINS change the setting from 'Default' to "Enable NETBIOS over TCP/IP'.

I believe SP2 had a few enhancements for wireless networking. I thought these were just to enable WPA/PSK Security but there may have been more ...............

:thinking:

Josh-2552
Visitor

i heard that as well (about sp2), but i believe it is only for security. anyway, i will let you know how i get on :smileygrin:

thanks for your time and effort,

Josh

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Just re-reading your first post. What do you mean when you say you have to share MSN between the two PCs?

You are trying to connect in INFRASTRUCTURE mode aren't you? Connecting direct to the router NOT to the card in the desktop? You aren't connecting to the internet THROUGH the desktop?

:thinking:

Josh-2552
Visitor

what i mean by using msn, is that i sign in on the desktop with one email address, and on my laptop with another. i can then send files between the pcs using MSN, however it transfers at LAN speed. i know it is LAN speed because songs send in 2seconds, whereas sending to a freind takes can take up to 20mins.

i do not connect to the internet through the desktop. the desktop acts like another laptop, as it has a wireless usb adapter that is connected to the router (wirelessly), just like the built in capabilities of the laptop.

yes, i am connecting directly to the router.

Josh

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

OK - sorry I misread what you meant.

This is becoming a bit of a saga, isn't it!!!!!!!!!!!

:smileyd_oh:

Josh-2552
Visitor

lol. don't worry now. ive saved all your help and advice, and i am going to give it a big, propper attempt when i can giv it all my attention.

THANKS TO EVERYONE FOR YOUR HELP, ADVICE, AND TIME, i will let you know how i get on.

Thanks, Josh