Join now - be part of our community!

Vaio VGN FS115S DVD Drive

crispywotsits
Visitor

Vaio VGN FS115S DVD Drive

Hi all,

My second DVD-R drive in this laptop has failed, but the main problem is that Sony want £104.26 to replace the DVD drive - a complete rip off in my opinion, especially since this is the second DVD-R drive, and I'm sure the new drive has a warranty of its own.

Anyways, it doesn't look like Sony will budge on this and I'm thinking of replacing it completely myself. I've seen laptop / slimline drives for around £50 - £60, but I am unsure of the connection between drive and computer.

Does anyone know if the Vaio has a standard connection for the DVD R drive, and if so, would something like this drive work in it?

http://svp.co.uk/products-solo.php?pid=861

Thanks
Chris

5 REPLIES 5
profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Hi all,

My second DVD-R drive in this laptop has failed, but the main problem is that Sony want £104.26 to replace the DVD drive - a complete rip off in my opinion, especially since this is the second DVD-R drive, and I'm sure the new drive has a warranty of its own.

Normally new drives they fit have a warranty period of their own, labour is usually insured.

Might be a good idea to ask for help at your CAB office

crispywotsits
Visitor

Ok,

I've just had a reply from Sony about this. Basically, the new drive did have a new warranty of 6 months, but it is after the 6 month period and it will cost well over £200 to put right.

So, my original question stands, does anyone know of a drive that will fit this laptop?

Cheers
Crispy

Josh-2552
Visitor

usb one? external obviously

crispywotsits
Visitor

A USB one would probably be a last resort. I would prefer it if I could put an internal one in.

Cheers
Crispy

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

The main problem with the drive would be the faceplate