Join now - be part of our community!

hotfix problem with permission

samySLO
Visitor

hotfix problem with permission

On the Sony Vaio homepage I found for my computer an hotfix for win xp. The problem is that when I try to install it it says: "Sorry, you dont have the permission to extract this package!".
I am on my computer, and I am the only user and I am the administrator of the computer. So why this problem??

Thanks

Samo

5 REPLIES 5
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Samo,

Are you using the original operating system that came with your notebook. If so have you deleted any of the original applications or utilities?

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
samySLO
Visitor

No I don't have installed the original windows xp anymore. Now I have the win xp SP2. Am I having problem because of this?

Tnx

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Can you clarify whether you have installed a non OEM operating system (a retail version of XP), as opposed to just updating the existing pre-installed Sony version of XP to SP2?

If you have installed a new retail version of XP then you will need to download and install the pre-installed utilities package for your model from Vaio-Link (Drivers and Updates).

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
samySLO
Visitor

hmmm,

Sorry but I don't understand what you mean :slight_frown: ?! I have installed a win xp SP2, which I used before for my static home computer and now I have install it on Vaio.

Tnx

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

OK, so you are using an operating system other than the pre-installed version that was supplied with your Vaio.

Before your computer will be recognised as a Vaio and have permission to extract this package, you will need to download and install the pre-installed Utilities from Vaio-Link (Drivers and Updates). You have not stated you model but if the package contains numbered folders then install these in numerical sequance and then re-boot.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat