Join now - be part of our community!

How to re-activate the touchpad control/program?

per_s
Visitor

How to re-activate the touchpad control/program?

Hi!

I have "lost" the touchpad control program as I uninstalled it, to get full access for my MS Intellipoint mouse (I 'm not sure it was neccessary?!).

But now I want it back, to be able to access the touchpad controls (like disable doubletapping etc.). The touchpad works fine, but I can't access any settings for it.

I tried to uninstall the Intellipoint, but it didn't come back. I also tried downloading the Touchpad driver from VAIO, but I can't install it. It says "DLL can't be loaded".

Can someone advise me?

I have a VGN-FS295VP.

Greets from Sweden / Per Soder

5 REPLIES 5
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi

Goto Start > Run type devmgmt.msc and press OK, Device Manager window should open, double click Mouse and Other Pointing Devices.

Then right click once on the mouse and select properties.

Select the 'Driver' tab and click on Update driver.

A new Hardware Update Window will appear, select Install from a list or specific location (advanced) and click next

The window now changes select 'Don't search I will choose the driver to install' and click next.

If 'Alps Pointing-device' (possibly Alps Pointing-device for Vaio) appears in the new window, select it and click next.. (if the 'Alps Pointing-device' does not appear in the list remove the tick from 'Show Compatible Hardware' and select Alps Electric from the Manufacturer column then 'Alps Pointing-device' (possibly Alps Pointing-device for Vaio) from the model column and then click next.

Wait for the driver to install then click Finish, a System Settings Change window should now appear prompting you to Restart your Computer and click Yes to restart..... :slight_smile:

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi per_s,

Have a look in Device Manager at ‘Mice and other pointing devices’. You may possibly find that you have a PS/2 mouse listed, as opposed to a pointing device, as a result of installing the MS Intellipoint mouse .

If so you will need to update your driver for the PS/2 device.

If you are unsure of the location of the pointing device driver then download the pre-installed drivers for your model from Vaio Link and extract the ‘Pointing’ folder to a known location (eg C:\Drivers\Pointing).

Then:

Try updating the driver for the pointing device in Device Manager (Right click My Computer Icon > Properties > on the Hardware tab click Device Manager).

Locate Mice and Other Pointing Devices and expand. You should see a pointing device listed or possibly a PS/2 mouse > right click this and select ‘Update Driver’. On the next window select ‘No, not this time’ and click Next. On the following window select ‘Install from a list or specific location (Advanced) > click next.

You then have two options - ‘Search for the best driver in theses locations’ > browse to the location of the extracted file to included it in the search and click next.

If that is not accepted as the correct driver then go back and select ‘Don’t search. I will choose the driver to install.’ And click Next.

Hopefully you will see the correct hardware listed, but if not then click ‘Have Disk’ and again browse to the location of the extracted folder.

Edit: Evening Thalamus - your were too quick for me again :wink:

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Good evening to your too Rich.. :slight_smile:

per_s
Visitor

Thalamus/Rich,

Thanks to the both of you, I now got it back.

Rgrds / Per Soder, Sweden

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

:cool: You're welcome Per Soder.. :slight_smile: