Join now - be part of our community!

How to turn off the LCD?

binru
Visitor

How to turn off the LCD?

My laptop is A397xp, I want to turn the LCD off when I sleep. However, I can not use Power Options Properties to turn off monitor, because in my computer, there is a running software and automatically move my mouse, as a result, it is useless to turn off using that way and I have already tried it.

It also can not use Fn+F7(change to another monitor), because I do not have another monitor which can connect to the laptop.

So, could you do help me and how I could only turn off the monitor during I am sleeping. Thank you very much!

17 REPLIES 17
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

This option requires you to physically close the lid. One of the catches connects with a micro switch that turns off the LCD.

Just as a matter of interest ¿ you will have two recesses that the catches at the top of your screen connect with, when the screen is closed. While your screen is open, try pressing a thin object, such as a paper clip, into each recess and see whether the LCD turns off.

I am trying to get hold of a pal of mine with an A series to see whether he can confirm that the Power Panel icon is in the Sys Tray on his system. He is marked as `away¿ at present but I will keep trying and get back to you.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Sounds great Rich but how you regain the screen GUI ?

:thinking: erm... Open the LCD?

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

What sort of program moves the mouse around?

binru
Visitor

What sort of program moves the mouse around?

THe program is used for Internet Game and it simulates the mouse to move, therefore, the power schemes can not work due to the movement of mouse.

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

binru,

No joy in contacting my pal with the A series as yet, but have you tried what I suggested?

Just as a matter of interest ¿ you will have two recesses that the catches at the top of your screen connect with, when the screen is closed. While your screen is open, try pressing a thin object, such as a paper clip, into each recess and see whether the LCD turns off.

If the LCD turns of on `close lid¿ the mouse movement will not be of relevance.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

binru,

The utility WIZMO claims to do what you are trying to achieve.

"blackout ¿ blank the screen to "basic black"
Leave the system's monitors powered on, but blank the screen(s) to absolute black. Colors other than black can be chosen by using the "desktop" command instead of "blackout." Since this is a Wizmo hosted screen saver, the mouse sensitivity "shake=" command can precede the "blackout" command to set or disable subsequent mouse movement unblanking. Other Wizmo commands to change system settings may be placed before and after the "blackout" command to alter the system's operation during the blanking.
Example: wizmo blackout"

I have not tried it by the way!

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
binru
Visitor

Hi Rich912

Thank you so much for your help. At this moment, I use your method and it really works. However, it is just a little bit not convinient.

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

No problem binru.
Btw you can link the `Wizmo¿ command to one of your S buttons.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat