Join now - be part of our community!

Sony DW-56A Drive

ED_GUL
Visitor

Sony DW-56A Drive

Hi their i was wondering if anyone could help me pls. I have a sony a317m and recently i had problems with the harddrive when the unit was sent to sony the cd drive was also changed as it was faulty.

Recently i have decovered when i put in a blank cdr's or cds it takes absolutely ages for them to be red. As far as im aware i have the most upto date drivers.

Im sorry to sound like a complete novice but i need some help pls. oh and when i try and burn cd's it comes up with errors.

regards ed

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

I am afraid that it looks as though you will need to contact Sony again for a pick-up.
This is now the sixth report of a faulty DW-56A optical drive in the last few weeks.
There is obviously a major problem here :slight_frown:

Btw there is an update for your drive on Sony-Link - I assume that you have updated the firmware to PFS3-2, although I doubt that this will make any difference.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
ED_GUL
Visitor

Thanks for the reply, iv just got off the phone from sony. After going through and establishing that i did have the correct firmware, they got me to unistall sonic and then reinstall it to see if the software would burn cds. Yippi it did that time, but as iv tried another cd now it refuses to. keeps coming up with a error. This takes the u know wat as this is the second optical drive, gonna have to ring them again in the morning.

thanks again for your reply mate!

Ed

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

No problem Ed.
Sony¿s suggestion of uninstalling and re-installing Sonic is a new one to me! No one else with the same problem has been asked to try that, as far as I am aware. Strange that the drive worked once before throwing a wobbly again. Perhaps it is a software problem within the Sony bundled stuff?
After the uninstall and re-install, were you able to read CD¿s and did the drive recognise blank CD¿s? If you have any third party burning software it may be worth uninstalling Sonic and then testing the drive fully before re-installing.
Just a thought.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
ED_GUL
Visitor

Been on the phone again to sony today. Was told to uninstall the drive and then try again still not working. Then i was told to recover the system. After doing this the drive still just does not want to burn. Iv been out and bought another different brand of cdr's and they still dont work. The most unusual thing is that when i put any other cd in it actually works. The computer dosent want to recognise cdrs. Ive given up they are going to call me on monday to arrange a pick up. Can i just ask the 6 people who had problems with their drives what were the outcomes in the end?
thanks ed