Join now - be part of our community!

I've Lost My Memory !!!

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

I've Lost My Memory !!!

At my age I have to accept that memory loss is inevitable - but I don't expect my Vaio to have the same difficulties!

When running 'Tune Up Utilities', I was told that I didn't have enough RAM installed because my system needed 512MB.

As I do have 512MB installed, I was a little surprised. Checking the System Screen, Belarc Adviser and Tune Up, they all agree I have 448MB of RAM. I seem to have lost 64MB.

My Vaio desktop is fine and shows the full 1024MB.

I have a K315M which has the ATI Radeon IGP 345M - advertised as "Shared Graphics Memory up to 128MB". I can't find any detailed specifications for this card but I presume it has 64MB of its own and 'borrows' extra if needed.

Do you think it has permanently taken 64MB of RAM?

Or is there another, simpler explanation? :thinking:

8 REPLIES 8
mvveelen
Visitor

Seems to me you have to get a new memory module, this one is broken......

William
Visitor

I would assume your Graphics card doesn't have any memory of its own and uses a minimum of 64Mb system memory.

I don't think your Vaio would start at all if part of your memory on your DIMM wasn't working.

gonkenobi
Visitor

You are right Blen, the graphics card uses 64 MB permanently. It is not a variable amount of memory, but a fixed one.

Kris1990
Visitor

the memory has gone to you graphics card i have the same problem. It will always use 64mb and then when using programs or games that need more graphics power use up to 128mb

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Thanks everyone - that explains it!

I'll think about extra memory but with only two slots with 256MB each, I'd have to buy two modules of 512MB and throw the two 256s away!!

Thanks again.

gonkenobi
Visitor

Exactly what I did.

In case you don't know, take a look at www.crucial.com. Best place to buy as far as I know

profile.country.de_DE.title
seb21__
Visitor

the memory has gone to you graphics card i have the same problem. It will always use 64mb and then when using programs or games that need more graphics power use up to 128mb

I can say that 32MB Graphic Ram are pretty fine for this Graphic chip. It's funny but Games and Programs will run faster with less VRAM and more system Ram.

You can trust me. I have the same chip in my VAIO.:smileycool:

Kris1990
Visitor

you could sell the two 256mb ram cards:smileywink: