Join now - be part of our community!

im going for it.....

profile.country.en_GB.title
JohnHarrison1983
Visitor

im going for it.....

ok after much hesitation due to my lack of knowledge im finally going to install gentoo on my laptop to sit along side windows but i need help (ive tried posting on the gentoo forums but they dont understand)

i suppose first i need to now delete the recovery partition...but how do i do this?

1 REPLY 1
profile.country.GB.title
jammold
Explorer

OK. Good but before you start you MUST backup that recovery partition.

1. Start Windows XP.
2. Follow any on-screen instructions on how to make the recovery CD's/DVD's.

Please note that it can require a LOT of CD's!!! If you wish to use DVD's then approx. 4 disks will just about cover it.

Allow the process to finish, backup your computer, and then test these disks to verify they work. OK it is a lot of work just to verify that they work but in the long run you will probably be very glad you did this!

To free additional space, you can then delete the recovery partition, but just check the disks work first. It may save headaches and approximately £50 for the replacement disk from Sony!

Now you can proceed to Gentoo Linux. Insert CD1 and reboot your VAIO. It will start from CD.

If Gentoo Linux uses YaST2 then installation will be very smooth. By default it does co-exist with Windows XP, but be warned that partition resizing is not without its problems.

Also note that Linux can only READ NTFS partitions (i.e. Windows XP) but not WRITE to it.

From inside Windows XP, your Linux data is totally inaccessible.

I am currently writing a Linux installation guide (YaST2), and when it is finished I will post it here.