Join now - be part of our community!

internal memory VGN- A117S

danstijl
Visitor

internal memory VGN- A117S

Sony said for laptop vgn-a177s you can only put 1gig internal memory in it. Does anyone have more than that? Because different kind of brands says that maximum memory can be 2gig.
Does someone installed allready more than 1gig in his vgn a 117s and does it work???????

Hope to your advice... thanks

9 REPLIES 9
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Haven't tried it but as the VGN-A117S has a large 2048KB Cache, you would expect it to be able to handle 2048MB memory.

Sony say 1024MB is the maximum but, interestingly CRUCIAL say it will take 2048MB and they will guarantee their recommended products will work OK.

:cry:

danstijl
Visitor

I heard that from crucial, but the thing is in the netherlands crucial is hard to get, we got kingston and dana elec, but does they also have the same policy.....

kika18
Visitor

Hi, I considering upgrading my memory and I have the same issue with my A115B. Have you tried putting the 2GB RAm?
Erica

danstijl
Visitor

Not yet, I am waiting for someone who did that already, so let's wait.... Because 1gig in our laptop doesn't make sense if you work a lot with different kind of big applications.

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Eugenepang has done it already

danstijl
Visitor

but he has a vgn-a317s I thinks that is a newer one and is maybe more compatible with 2gig... I have no warranty anymore..

kee-lo_

Ah yeah true
What did Crucial tell you?

kika18
Visitor

I have been in touch with my IT supplier. They contacted Kingston (who say max 2GB). Kingston said that Sony do not retest computers with more memory but that Kingston have tested these models and they guarantee that it works.

Why do you say that it does not make sense to put 2GB memory if using large applications? I use CAD and graphics and often have two or three large applications open at once.

kee-lo_

Kingston are one of the best memory makers alongside Crucial.