Join now - be part of our community!

Internet Explorer 10 won't install on VPCF11Z1E/Bl laptop

profile.country.en_GB.title
stchamp47
Explorer

Internet Explorer 10 won't install on VPCF11Z1E/Bl laptop

When I tried to update my IE9 browser to IE10 via the usual Windows Update procedure, it failed to install and I had to revert to IE9.  My OS in Windows 7 64 bit.  My laptop in a VPCF11Z1E/Bl.  When, after rebooting, I tried to load the IE10 browser, nothing happened.  Not even when I went to the exe file itself and clicked on it.  Just dead.  Any ideas or advice?

11 REPLIES 11
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi stchamp47,

I don’t use IE and this link is a few months old but see whether there is anything of help.

http://techdows.com/2012/11/fix-to-ie10-install-stopped-on-windows-7.html

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
stchamp47
Explorer

Thanks, Rich, for this suggestion.  I'll try it and let you know.  In the meantime, I have been looking around for others with my problem and have found this rather dispiriting item:

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/bits/2013/03/04/ie10-bug-hybrid-graphics/1

Could it be that hybrid graphics is the cause of my problem on my laptop?  If it is, I am stuck until NVIDIA releases a fix.  In which case, Sony might draw their attention to the problem?

Steve

stchamp47
Explorer

Hi Rich.

Further testing on the NVIDIA website indicates that my 11/01/2010 version of the NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M graphics driver should be upgraded to an 18/02/2013 version.  I wonder if anyone has done this successfully?  I am cautious about such upgrades but I suppose I could always roll it back if the upgrade causes problems and makes no difference to the IE10 browser not installing.

Steve

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Steve,

Interesting and although it may be the cause of the problem other sources suggest that only the VPCCA and VPCCB series are affected, all of which seem to have the AMD GPU.

Re upgrading the driver from the Nvidia web site unfortunately this is unlikely to successfully install as the hardware Id, being unique to Sony, will not be recognised.

There are ways around this but it involves using a modified Inf file and is not recommended by Sony.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Steve,

I notice that Sony have released an updated graphics driver for your model - Graphics Driver (NVIDIA) - 8.16.11.8867

http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/product/VPCF11Z1E_BI/updates

It might be worth trying this...

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
stchamp47
Explorer

Thanks, Rich.  Unfortunately, that is the NVIDIA graphics driver I have currently installed.  I should have made that clearer by quoting its full version number.  I take your point about the likelihood that an upgrade to the latest driver release on the NVIDIA website is not going to be compatible with my Sony laptop.  So, am I stuck unless and until Sony issues an updated graphics driver to overcome this problem with installing IE10 on my laptop?

Steve

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Steve,

Assuming that it is a graphics driver problem that is the cause then the answer is yes and unless you and others raise this with support an update is unlikely.

Have you tried any of the suggestions in the link I attached?

The only other alternative is to install the Nvidia driver with a modified Inf file.

http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/

Read the quick start guide towards the bottom of the page.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
stchamp47
Explorer

Thanks, Rich.  I will follow your suggestion up.  I'm not a complete beginner and am familiar with altering .inf files.  I have asked Sony customer support to look into my problem and will let the group know their response.

Steve

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Good luck Steve and please let us know how you get on with both customer support and installing the modified Inf - especially if this cures the IE 10 install problem.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat