Join now - be part of our community!

Is sony the only way to upgrade RAM on my Sony Vaio PCV-V1

andypads
Visitor

Is sony the only way to upgrade RAM on my Sony Vaio PCV-V1

I have a Sony Vaio PCV-V1 (its the desktop with the computer built into the back of the screen) I think it has 512 Ram but space to upgrade to 1GB ?? I've been told the only way to do this is to get Sony to pick it up at great expense !! Is this true,

Is anyone else in the same boat... or have any advice !!!

Thanks,

Andy

12 REPLIES 12
profile.country.de_DE.title
seb21__
Visitor

No, please don't buy this RAM.

Use this Link to buy your RAM.

http://www.crucial.com

andypads
Visitor

Its the matters of installing it, the helpline said it was not possible to upgrade due to the computer being built into the screen. I've upgraded comps b4 but to be honest, would you need to take the screen to bits ???

seb21__
Visitor

:thinking:

Excuse me, I don't know excactly from what you are talking.

But you would need this RAM : click me

andypads
Visitor

Hi Seb, thanks for you help on this, the computer I have is this
http://vaio.sony-europe.com/ShowProduct.do?site=ite_en_GB&category=VD+V+Series&product=PCV-V1
and I'm just wandering if anyone has upgraded the RAM on there own ???

Cheers

seb21__
Visitor

The Link is broken, andypads.

BTW, I know which VAIO you have.:smileywink:

But you must know what you want.
At the moment I can say, 512MB RAM should be enough.

But if you work with videos or with large photos in Photoshop, then 1GB RAM are better. If you use your VAIO only for watching DVD or similar things, then you wouldn't make a big different.

andypads
Visitor

Hi, sorry about the link (hope it wasn't insulting) just wanted to be clear. I do a lot of photo editing and some viedo editing and if it was practical to upgrade I qould like to. If its going to risk my computer then I'll cope ?!? On the whole I'm made up with the comp and I love the way it looks (which is what has got me into this problem !) I could have had all the speed and power in the world if I'd built my own for the price.
p.s For anyone else reading, I think I've fixed the link. :wink:

seb21__
Visitor

LOL, the PCV-V1 looks better than the V2. IMO

Yes, if you say you do a lot video editing and so on, then 1GB would be better.

The thing is, if you have not enough RAM, then Windows must shift a part of the Data which are in the RAM to the swapfile on the Harddisk. That slowdown the system. Maybe you have noticed that.

For example if you work with a big file, then sometimes, you can hear a extrem harddisk usage. Or a flashing light on your VAIO. That's because the RAM is full and Windows use a part of the harddisk as RAM.

There is no risk, if you want uprade the RAM. Crucial seems to be excellent manufacturer. And they have a good costumer support.

BTW: there is no Sony RAM in your VAIO.:smileywink:

andypads
Visitor

I've seen the V2 and I think that its looks too sq, the only thing I'd swap would be the touch pad on the keyboard and the screen size (are we ever happy ?)

As for the RAM upgrade - I think I'll give that link you sent a whirl and see if they can offer any advice. Just out of interest if I was going to buy an external hard drive around 150gig would you have any suggestions ???

Thanks again,

Andy

seb21__
Visitor

are we ever happy 

Nothing is perfect, andypads.

would you have any suggestions ??? 

Not really. You would ask the wrong guy. Maybe a other here could help you there.:smileyhappy: