Join now - be part of our community!

Ive heard that......

fish7137
Visitor

Ive heard that......

.....you can share ram so that it works along side the graphics card in order to increase fps and graphic quality. Does anybody know how to do this? Does it affect the ram when not playing games? Can it damage the computer?

Thanks

13 REPLIES 13
profile.country.en_GB.title
robpaxton
Explorer

Some graphics cards use shared RAM, some don't. You will have to tell us the model of your computer before we can tell you whether it is possible.

If applicable, the memory is shared when the computer boots. It is then dedicated to the graphics card and is not available for other use by the computer. It cannot harm your computer.

kee-lo_

It doesn't damange the PC, but it can make games run slower as there's less system RAM.

TygerTyger
Visitor

It's not actually a choice. You either have a graphics card that borrows system RAM, or you don't. You can't change it either way no matter what card you have.

robpaxton
Explorer

You are right, it's not a choice whether you can share system RAM or not, but some shared memory cards allow you to alter the amount of RAM that is shared. I sort of read the question that way.

It's all irrelevant if 'fish7137' doesn't tell us what computer we're talking about :smileyd_oh:

TygerTyger
Visitor

.....you can share ram so that it works along side the graphics card in order to increase fps and graphic quality. 

That sounded to me like he wanted to do it in addition to dedicated RAM.

kee-lo_

Thats how I read it too Rob.

robpaxton
Explorer

TT, your reading is as valid as mine :wink: We've answered all potential and imagined questions :laughing:

kee-lo_

I know, I'm shattered after answering nearly 30 questions in this Notebooks forums alone!

TygerTyger
Visitor

We've answered all potential and imagined questions 

:laughing:

Post Saturday night tech support :smileywink:.