Join now - be part of our community!

Just a quick question about Vista!!!

tash_edwards89
Visitor

Just a quick question about Vista!!!

Hi,

Does anyone know if Vista Home Premium would run on a FS315E?!??!!?

I know there are programs that check it and I have run this to see how capable it is. The only issues I appear to be having is my graphics card and my RAM.

Graphics card has to be able to run DirectX9 I think it is and mine does.... so should this be ok and also my RAM.... some computers sold with Vista have 512MB of RAM.

Do you think Vista would run ok on my laptop? Do you know of any drivers that will not?

I know Vista is VERY new, but just wondered if anyone had any ideas already!!!!

Tash :wink:

6 REPLIES 6
a7med_360
Visitor

It might run but really bad so it wont be worth it!

tash_edwards89
Visitor

Has anyone tried to upgrade their laptop to Vista with 512MB RAM??

Do you know of any drivers etc that don't any longer work because of the Vista upgrade??

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

You will need to add some more memory - your FS-Series will take up to 2048 MB of RAM.

The Intel 915GM graphics may struggle a bit as it shares up to 128MB of memory with your RAM (another reason to increase RAM), but I'm sure your Vaio will run most Vista functions.

I would wait until the necessary Sony drivers are available for your Vaio. This may be a while as they will do the latest Vaio's first. Without these Power Management and the Function keys will probably not work and Vista will be a disappointment.

:wink:

profile.country.en_GB.title
biancavaio
Visitor

Hey tash_edwards89,

I have the same vaio model as you !!

thanks for asking the question i was curious about ...but obviously our laptops are quite dated ...so theres noo real point of me getting a vista upgrade , i might as well just buy a whole new pc :smileygrin:

bianca

xxx

tash_edwards89
Visitor

Hi Bianca Khatri,
Glad someone was wondering the same as me!!!!

I would like to keep my laptop, don't want a new one really!! None I like. I'm prepared to buy a Vista upgrade and extra RAM!!! Would like more RAM anyway!

Blencogo, do you think they will still do the drivers for this model even though it is an 'older' model?
Is the RAM the only issue really?

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

I think you should be OK.

The Vaio VGN-FS415E is Vista capable and Sony have said they will produce the drivers for this model.

As far as I can make out the VGN-FS415E is identical to your 315E - same graphics/audio/memory/HDD etc. etc. The only difference is the processor - you have a 380 and the 415E has a 390 - and both are equally Vista capable.

I think most computers up to 3 or 4 years old will be able to run Vista (but maybe not Aero) if the updated drivers are made available.

:slight_smile: