Join now - be part of our community!

just had my entire hard drive wiped!!

jamieshurlock
Visitor

just had my entire hard drive wiped!!

im not a complete idiot so i know i didnt format it by doing something stupid in the settings, had it a few weeks now and thought id mastered it!
heres what happened...
i used it to transfer some files from my laptop to home machine as an external hard drive rather than actual tunes these were folders full of files
all went well and a big thumbs up for a good thing i can do with it.
laptop is still on 2.3 and home machine is 3.1 sonicstage as i havent had time to update it (i think 3.1 may be to blame?)
left it plugged in to home machine as i was going to put in some more tunes for tomorrows train journey.
decided not to bother and disconected it to listen to a tune b4 going to bed and it came up with an error of 'corrupted music info' and to restore music info
wouldnt do anything else until i did it whereas afterwards it wiped my harddrive clean!!
i only deleted the folders that had my files in that i wanted to transfer, i definetly did not wipe off the files containing 6gb of tunes i put on since ive had it!!
really pi**ed off!!
has this happened to anyone else?
is it to do with 3.1 software?
didnt one of you mention something about it when upgrading software?
even wiped off the 5 demo tracks installed from new
if i reset it will i get back at least these?
at the point of throwing it back to the shop i bought it in disgust!
this is not the vaio i know and love!

vaio desktop/laptop, cybershot, minidisc, tv/dvd/video/amp etc all sony - starting to think im wasting my money here!

2 REPLIES 2
HeartOfDarkness
Visitor

As the libraries have different structures in Sonic Stage 2.x and 3.x, i alas think that having had your Vaio connected successively to one version then the other and back again may be the cause of your troubles.

Did you use your laptop's Sonic Stage 2.x (with the Vaio connected to the laptop, of course) before plugging your Vaio to the SS 3.x machine ?

stix
Visitor

I had a similar thing happen, though at no point did I get the "corrupted music info" message. To save space on my HD at home, I deleted the files after they were transferred to to VP. Before undertaking the upgrade to SS3.1 I decided to transfer them all back to the PC in order to make a backup. Bad move... the transfer removed them from the VP but they did not arrive on the PC.... so I lost around 10Gb of music.

Always keep a backup of your files somewhere!!!!