Join now - be part of our community!

k315z is it pc2700 or pc2100(help!!!!)

D4DAWG
Visitor

k315z is it pc2700 or pc2100(help!!!!)

:cry: i am lookin to upgrade my memory to corsair xms to make my computer faster, and i thought it ran at pc2700 but looking harder on sites, i find its a pc2100!!
is this right?
is this slower?
will it run at pc2700?
and if so how? as i dont want to buy decent memory for it to only run at pc2100 anyway!!!
please help as pulling hair out, and feel let down by sony as on their sites they advertise new memory as pc2700!!!!
kind regards
marc

11 REPLIES 11
TygerTyger
Visitor

Crucial say buy 2700, and that's probably your best bet. At the very worst it will simply run at 2100, and maybe you will get lucky and find it's 2700. The cost difference will be minor.

D4DAWG
Visitor

thanx, is their anyway that i can find out just what speed my system does work at/ and will run at? as i want to buy xms memory from corsair as it runs quicker but it begins at pc2700 and i want to know if its worth it if i may only run at pc2100 anyway?:smileycry:

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

D4DAWG
Visitor

cherrs m8 will try and see what it comes up with:smileygrin:

robpaxton
Explorer

It's not worth adding memory (eg Corsair) that responds well to overclocking to a Sony notebook because the timing settings aren't tweakable in the BIOS.

kee-lo_

It's also to save overheating issues, which can't be a bad thing.

D4DAWG
Visitor

cheers again for the advice guys, it just seems as though sony make these things chuck in faster ram modules cos its cheap at the time then u think u can speed up ur machine, and u cant!!
regards marc:smileygrin:

nemo66
Visitor

Anyway....u will notice barely nothing using a 2700 DDR RAM instead of 2100.
So no need to "TWEAK".....
Tuning (or overcloacking) a system is done by using multiple combined tehnics as CPU, RAM, HD, Bus-Speed, Cooling V-Core and so on....

profile.country.GB.title
jammold
Explorer

Tuning (or overcloacking) a system is done by using multiple combined tehnics as CPU, RAM, HD, Bus-Speed, Cooling V-Core and so on....

A side-note about overclocking.
In a notebook, overclocking the V-Core (graphics chip) will cause it to BURN (literally) and fail very quickly, the CPU much the same. The reason I say this is because overclocking will cause serious heat issues, causing the cooling fans to work harder and stress in a notebook will reduce its life dramatically.

Sony have every right to refuse repairs if you try overclocking, Intel for one frown on this practice due to the damage it does (have a look at the processor FAQ's).

You have been warned, a desktop is no better with overclocking either, but there is more space for heat.

Sorry nemo, I am not getting at you, but overclocking is a risky business, I would not put my grands worth of electronics in the overclocking oven because of the costs of buying a new one.

Still, if you disregard the warranty and the fact that Sony will more than likely refuse to repair your system, and you want the speed increase at the cost of shortened life then go for it.:smileywink: