Join now - be part of our community!

Keyboard & wireless fault on VGN-AR11S(Model PCG-8V1M)

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
RobynCB
New

Keyboard & wireless fault on VGN-AR11S(Model PCG-8V1M)

I inherited a Sony Viao(2005 vintage) with no documents.It has been updated to the latest 1709 version of Windows 10 with 32bit OS. When I press "Caps Lock" it goes to lower case - taking off Caps Lock it goes to upper case - when it actually types a letter! No number keys  on the main board work on either upper or lower case. The "Num Lock" works on certain numbers but only the ones without a secondary function when all you get is the secondary function whether in upper or lower case. I have uninstalled the keyboard drivers , turned the computer off & then rebooted it - to no effect. I plugged in my mainframe's keyboard & got the same faults. I have also done a clean install of Windows 10 to no effect.

In addition to the keyboard fault I have also lost my wireless connection(Intel 3945ABG driver) appearantly with the update to the latest 1709 Windows 10 version.

I'm not a computer expert so find it difficult to understand the root of these faults The keyboard appears to be a hardware fault as the faults appear duplicated on another keyboard. I can bypass the wireless card with a dongle but can't type in the security code of my router to link it. Any ideas?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
Mick_D

Hi Robyn, welcome to the Sony UK Community :slight_smile:

Certainly it sounds more likely to be a firmware issue, or a keystroke-assignment issue, rathe than hardware, if an accessory keyboard produces the same result. 

One of our Vaio experts may be able to help you out there; sorry I'm unable to shed any further light.

Cheers

Mick

View solution in original post

profile.country.GB.title
RobynCB
New

Thank you for your response. I'm glad to say I solved the keyboard issue by disconnecting the keyboard ribbon(which I hadn't done previously) & then plugging in my mainframe keyboard.The mainframe keyboard then functioned as a keyboard should! I will now invest in a replacement keyboard.

Having been able to type,I soved the wirless issue by being able to access my secured network & by fitting a dongle. Normallity  is restored until the next fault appears - next time I use it probably!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.GB.title
Mick_D

Hi Robyn, welcome to the Sony UK Community :slight_smile:

Certainly it sounds more likely to be a firmware issue, or a keystroke-assignment issue, rathe than hardware, if an accessory keyboard produces the same result. 

One of our Vaio experts may be able to help you out there; sorry I'm unable to shed any further light.

Cheers

Mick

profile.country.GB.title
RobynCB
New

Thank you for your response. I'm glad to say I solved the keyboard issue by disconnecting the keyboard ribbon(which I hadn't done previously) & then plugging in my mainframe keyboard.The mainframe keyboard then functioned as a keyboard should! I will now invest in a replacement keyboard.

Having been able to type,I soved the wirless issue by being able to access my secured network & by fitting a dongle. Normallity  is restored until the next fault appears - next time I use it probably!