Join now - be part of our community!

KEYBOARD PROBLEMS

angus1878
Visitor

KEYBOARD PROBLEMS

im usually posting in the fun of general forums but im afraid im getting serious for this one (well,not too serious)
many moons ago i posted my cry for help when my "K" key stopped working, then fell away from the laptop all together, luckily the likes of THALAMUS, JUMPSUIT,and TONY BEARD came to my aid with the advice of using the onscreen keyboard (thanks guys) but now a few more are coming away and packing up on me.
dont get me wrong it does get hammered but the thing is literally falling apart, a friemd of mine told me you can replace the keyboard all together
IS THIS CORRECT
i have a sony vaio VGNA517B, what do i buy , where do i get it from, how do i fit it,

HOPE ANYONE CAN HELP

8 REPLIES 8
profile.country.CH.title
stone69
Contributor

as far as I know SONY dealers or service centres are not allowed to sell spare parts. So basically you would have to send it there and get it fixed...unless you can get a keyboard from somewhere privat

angus1878
Visitor

ahh thanks for that

nope i wont be sending it away
just the weight of it alone the cost
i could probably buy another one which maybe that is SONY.s intention

just a pity something sooo expensive
can fall apart so easy

thanx again

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

About $70 from Nexttronics in the USA. With postage we will be up to around £50. They will ship worldwide.

http://www.nexttronics.com/catalog/sony/1/147864011.htm

I'm sure Rich912 will find some fitting instructions!

:wink:

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

I'm sure Rich912 will find some fitting instructions!

:wink:

Will these instructions do..?

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi angus1878,

It may be worth contacting Nexttronics (in the USA). You will not find your model number listed but the chances are that the VGN – A5xxx uses a universal keyboard and they do list a UK layout. At a cost of $69.78 plus shipping it must be worth investigating….

EDIT: way behind you there :smileygrin:

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
profile.country.CH.title
stone69
Contributor

now that's interesting. I read that several times that you can't just buy spares? Is that only true for Europe? And why would it then be possible from the US? :thinking: :thinking:

angus1878
Visitor

oh my god thalamus
that looks like brain surgery to me

im afraid im not that brave
i struggle putting batteries in a tv remote control

good photos though

think i may just let my vaio fall apart

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

oh my god thalamus
that looks like brain surgery to me

If your that worried you could order the replacement keyboard and then ask a local PC repairer to fit it for you.?