Join now - be part of our community!

L2 Cache on K315S

boeingpete
Visitor

L2 Cache on K315S

Just bought a Vaio K Series 315s, and according to the Specification sheet that comes with it it has 1Mb Cache memory, though all the other specs I have seen on this notebook indicate it is only 512Kb. Would like to know which it is, so I can tweak it it since XP defaults to 128Kb.

Would have asked e-Support, but can't get through because the my e-mail address isn't recognised !!!! No other way of contacting them without running up my phone bill.

Would appreciate it if anyone out there could confirm what the L2 Cache value really is.

Cheers :slight_smile:

15 REPLIES 15
profile.country.GB.title
jammold
Explorer

Its the same in Whistler Beta, Home and Pro...:smileycry: Not good...

boeingpete
Visitor

Hi guys. Since I started this perhaps I should comment.

The Experts Tip as published in the MS Windows XP 'Official Magazine' is that you should ensure that the Registry entry relating to L2 Cache size is correctly set to match the actual L2 Cache size. If it doesn't then nothing gets to use more than that set in the Registry. It is not, therefore, an issue of what uses it, but rather that it is made available in full.

Registry to check is:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SessionManager\MemoryManagement\SecondLevelDataCache

The choice is yours, of course. But you'll notice a difference between when it is set at 128Kb and when you set it to 1Mb (or in my case 512Kb).

Good luck with it

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Thanks for the tip, I never knew MS controlled the L2 cache!
Thought they'd leave the BIOS to do this....

profile.country.GB.title
jammold
Explorer

Thought they'd leave the BIOS to do this....

Nope, MS love to control like Sony do in fact - and since they wrote it they have the power to cripple it on your hardware... Fortunately a lot of hacks are out there, I have used X-Setup to alter the SAFE ones of course:smileywink:

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Doesn;t suprise me really....

supernova
Visitor

how do i change the L2 cache please?