Join now - be part of our community!

Laptop will not start Windows

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
bsmithuist
Visitor

Laptop will not start Windows

Windows failed because HAL is missing. Please help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi bsmithuist,

The make is only important in so much as some makes are more reliable than others and as with most things you get what you pay for. I have found Fujitsu and Western Digital drives to be reliable.

A 2.5" form factor Sata drive with a thickness of 9.5mm will fit (some are 12.5mm thick).

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi bsmithuist,

This could be one of a number of problems but have a look at the following link to see if there is anything there that helps.

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/errorh/a/hal-dll-missing-windows-7-vista.htm

If a startup repair is needed and you are unable to borrow a retail copy of your OS it will be necessary to download a Windows System Recovery Disk – let us know which OS you are running and we can point you in the right direction.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
bsmithuist
Visitor

Hi Rich

Thanks for responding to my request for help.

I've made lots of efforts to solve the problem, with no success. This includes using the recovery disks that I made.

Error messages I've come across are HAL missing, DETECTHAL problem and NOEXECUTE message. Unfortunately, this means nothing to me.

My Sony Vaio is a NS10 L/S using Windows Vista Home Premium OEMAct.

Thanks once again for any suggestions.

bsmithuist

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi bsmithuist,

If you mean by "using recovery disks" you have carried out a system recovery back to factory settings and still have the same problem then I would suspect a hard drive problem.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
bsmithuist
Visitor

Hi Rich

Sorry, what I meant is that I have tried to start Windows with the recovery disk in the CD drive. Unfortunately, nothing special happened. I have done a memory test, and this stated that everything was OK.

Any further suggestions will be much appreciated.

Thanks,

bsmithuist

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi bsmithuist,

I suggest that you try either a startup repair using a Windows System Recovery Disk – download from here and burn the ISO to DVD. The link provided above gives full instructions on the repair procedure.

http://neosmart.net/blog/2008/windows-vista-recovery-disc-download/

Or recover your machine to factory settings by tapping F10, at boot, when you see the Vaio logo to enter the HDD recovery utility. Be aware that the latter will format the drive and you will lose all personal data and third party software.

If both of the above fail then you may need to replace the Hard Disk Drive.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
bsmithuist
Visitor

Hi Rich

I'm sorry that I'm asking more questions, but can you help?

When I tap F10, either a blank screen appears or 'Edit Boot Options'. This states Partition 2: (NO/EXECUTE = OPTIN).  I cannot access the HDD Recovery Utility. Does this mean the Hard Disk Drive needs replacing? If so, will it have to be specifically for the NS10?

Thanks once again for all the help.

bsmithuist

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi bsmithuist,

At this stage (before trying a Windows system recovery) it is impossible to say whether the HDD requires replacement.

Apparently download from the link I previously provided is now chargeable. Try the following link:

http://digiex.net/downloads/download-center-2-0/applications/956-windows-vista-32-bit-x86-recovery-d...

Your model shipped with a 250GB 2.5” SATA hard drive and can be replaced with any drive with the same specification – larger capacity if you desire.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
bsmithuist
Visitor

Hi Rich

Thanks for the help with the Windows System Recovery Disk. Unfortunately, all this gives is a blank screen and a cursor.

Furthermore, I cannot access the HDD Recovery Utility.

Does this mean that I do need a new hard disk? If so, will I have to load Windows onto the disk, and how do I do that?

Sorry about asking more questions. Your help so far has been much appreciated.

bsmithuist

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi bsmithuist,

It is very strange that it will not boot from the disk. I take it that you did burn the ISO to disk rather than just copying the image to disk? Do you have another machine with the same OS that you could try it on or explore the contents of the disk?

Below are the folders you should see when you explore the disk.

Win 7 repair disk 1.JPG

This is what you should see when the computer boots from the disk.

Win 7 repair disk 2.JPG

Does the CD/DVD drive show activity when you boot with the disk in the drive?

Have you checked in BIOS that the boot order is CD/DVD drive before HDD?

If nothing works and you have to resort to a new HDD then the original operating system can be loaded on the new drive using your recovery disks.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat