Join now - be part of our community!

LCD Screen Noise

cphuelva
Visitor

LCD Screen Noise

Hi all,

I bought a Vaio FS315S on December, and immediatly I noticed that when setting brightness less than a full, the lcd panel made an annoying noise.

I opened a case with Sony, it was sent to Service (apparently repaired), but when returned the noise was still there. Might be "normal"? I've tested with others Vaios (not exactly the same I own) and there is no noise...

Note: One month ago I found two or three threats about it in this forum, but by now they have disappeared!

Thanks a lot!

47 REPLIES 47
cphuelva
Visitor

I noticed the exact same type of humming noise coming from the lcd of my FS315s when the brghtness is set to anything less then full, i've had to leave it on full now all the time even when running on batteries because the noise is so annoying, i cant work with it... 

So whats the final word on this, is it normal, or is it a problem with these Lcd's, and can it be fixed???

Hi Damo, I think this noise only affects FS315s, because i went to a shop and a FS315b didn't do that noise... I've asked some people who owns FS315s and they have this noise too...

About fixing the problem... my situation is a "good" example, after sending it two times, the 1st time Sony said it was a detected problem, but they didn't fix it. The 2nd time my Vaio went to Service, they had returned it with the brightness control not working, so I can't prove it...

In other words, if you can, change your Vaio at your dealer!!!

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Tell them that damaging personal property is valdalism and they can be charged

Ashtorn
Visitor

I think this noise only affects FS315s

I have a FS315S and it also happens to mine!
I usually have the brightness set to full. i just hope nothing happens if you use the brightness lower than usual for an extented period, but that noise gives me the creeps 😞

Ashtorn
Visitor

I think this noise only affects FS315s

I have a FS315S and it also happens to mine!
I usually have the brightness set to full. I just hope nothing happens if you use the brightness lower than usual for an extented period, because that noise gives me the creeps 😞

Ashtorn
Visitor

Sorry for the double post...my connection was slow 😞

cphuelva
Visitor

Hi all,

I'm doing all can I do to achieve a solution. Sony doesn't contact me. The dealer where I bought the Vaio doesn't fullfils the laws about guarantee (Sony doesn't too), but they are trying to contact with Sony...

I'm in contact with regional government...

I'll publish a website soon to explain to the world how Sony cares it's customers...

storkyy
Visitor

hello everybody!
Im new vaio user and this is my first post. I have the same lcd noise problem!! My model is FS 415S and this noise is terrible.... I wait for results of your "fight" because I dont know what should I do...
Moreover my vaio has something strange with lcd screen: when whole screen is black (e.g screensaver) I see that on the left and bottom side of screen there is something like "punctual light trails" so black screen is something like light grey black... like in old laptops and lcd screens. But of course in normal color screen looks perfect, like vaio x-black...bright and so on...only this black is awfull.
This is strange because some months ago I had model 215E and black color on whole screen looked very well and better than on my new laptop....
I must say that this phenomenon is visble only when in room there is less light or is dark. In daylight is not visible.
Maybe the reason is that in my new model is other graphic card (geforce 6400) and screen is more bright than in my old 215E model (integrated in chipset 915)?? But it should be better not worse?
And one another thing... about fan....in my vaio fan is still working!! after about 10-15 minutes from "switch on" he starts to work and never stop....even if I do nothing (no games, no applications).
Im not sure is that ok??
I will be very thankfull if you help me a little.
Marcin from Poland

Ryu
Visitor

Hi all,

I have a FS-315B with the same buzzing noise when LCD brightness is not at its maximum. It is disturbing especially when I work in a quiet environment (practically, almost always).

I contacted Sony by Vaio-Link and asked them if this buzzing is normal or a failure. They said that "they may diagnose a failure and they would repair in warranty." So my laptop was picked up last week and delivered yesterday. But the noise is still there... :slight_frown:

I contacted them again today. They told me that they will call me back.. I am waiting now..

After I read this thread I got more anxious about this issue. It seems that our laptops can return from service with the same problem, without being repaired, or sometimes even damaged... I don't want it to be damaged and I guess I'd prefer to live with this annoying noise instead.. If it's delivered damaged I don't know how to deal with such a situation anyway, how to prove its damage, etc.. Do you have an idea?

I am undecided what to do, to live with it or send it again. If I had known these problems before I'd consider buying some other model or brand...

cphuelva
Visitor

Hi all, I have no time now, but I'll try to answer you in two hours!

After sending back to Sony, they gave me a new Sony (almost new...). It's a new model, it works fine, and no noise problem detected.

Il'l post later with more information!! Sorry!!!!

cphuelva
Visitor

Hi all,

I have a FS-315B with the same buzzing noise when LCD brightness is not at its maximum. It is disturbing especially when I work in a quiet environment (practically, almost always).

I contacted Sony by Vaio-Link and asked them if this buzzing is normal or a failure. They said that "they may diagnose a failure and they would repair in warranty." So my laptop was picked up last week and delivered yesterday. But the noise is still there... :slight_frown:

I contacted them again today. They told me that they will call me back.. I am waiting now..

After I read this thread I got more anxious about this issue. It seems that our laptops can return from service with the same problem, without being repaired, or sometimes even damaged... I don't want it to be damaged and I guess I'd prefer to live with this annoying noise instead.. If it's delivered damaged I don't know how to deal with such a situation anyway, how to prove its damage, etc.. Do you have an idea?

I am undecided what to do, to live with it or send it again. If I had known these problems before I'd consider buying some other model or brand...

Hi again!! I'm back!

As I said in my last post, Sony gave me a new Vaio. It's a Vaio that has been returned to Sony because the customer didn't want it (not a damaged unit!).

My "new" laptop is a Vaio FE11H, greater than my original FS315S. Sony decided to give me a new laptop after sending mails, calling every week, contacting with government, going directly to Sony Spain offices... It has been so hard, but now I'm happy!

The laptop also comes with 1 year warranty!

So, I recomend to all of you who have problems with FS series to demand a replacement, but if you can, go directly to the retailer where you bought the laptop (Sony is tooooooo slow!)

Next time I'll buy a laptop, WON'T be Sony.

Bye!