Join now - be part of our community!

Liquid spilled on keyboard

cactus
Visitor

Liquid spilled on keyboard

A small amount of liquid has been spilled on my keyboard(pcv-w1 serious)and i now have only 4 keys that work.Has anybody else had this happen.:smileycry:

6 REPLIES 6
madxbri
Visitor

my m8 had the same problem and he took it to bits and washed it out properly with loads of warm water and made sure it was well and truly drie befor putting power near it i know it works with mobiles to aslong as you give it plenty of time to dry out it will only short out if water is mixed with the electricity at the same time it worked for him and for me with mobile phones
someone may have a diffrent idea but this is how the do it in the phone shop's ect

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Might not be easy to take the keyboard off the W1 though

profile.country.GB.title
jammold
Explorer

My guess is that something corrosive has got inside the keyboard, such as coke (the refreshing soft drink:smileywink:) and this has eaten way the copper tracks inside. This damage is progressive, and can spread rapidly. You should take this in to Sony. Visit VAIO-Link (link below) and get a repair done ASAP!!!

However if it is out of warranty then unless you fancy trying to remove each key to determine the exact problem (difficult, stressful, likely to break EASILY) then get a USB keyboard/

kee-lo_

The USB keyboard looks more attractive....

robpaxton
Explorer

If you spill liquid on a notebook or keyboard, the first thing to do is turn off the power and disconnect from the mains supply. After this, tip out any excess liquid - trying to tip it in the direction the liquid entered the machine, dont shake the computer or keyboard as the liquid will splash around potentially causing more damage.

You should then leave the machine turned off in a warm room for long enough to allow it to completely dry out. Only turn the computer back on for testing after the computer is thoroughly dry.

If the computer doesn't power up, or keys don't work then you should seek help from Vaio-Link or someone who can service the computer.

kee-lo_

Moral of the story, don't drink next to a £2000 VAIO