Join now - be part of our community!

Lot of questions about RA204

Sinis
Visitor

Lot of questions about RA204

Hello,

i'm writing from France, so, sorry for my english language skill...

I've just received a new RA204 desktop machine, and i've got some questions perhaps you know (RA204 is not far from RAxxx USA models, i think) :
* Do you know how i can restore SPECIFIC applications from the second Sony DVD i have ? after a complete system reinstallation, the second DVD install ALL applications, without asking anything.
* In fact, i had installed XP pro, but this done, i can't start the second DVD. Nothing happens when i put it on the DVD player, and when i browse it, i can't find any program i can use to install some applications. So i reinstalled the original XP Home, but it's a shame.
* I find *.PAC big files on the DVD, some people here are saying those files are to be opened with UNPACK.EXE : i can't find this program anywhere.
* Do you know what's the real TV Tuner card in the computer ? is it a WDM card ? I would like to try other TV Tuner programs than the "VAIO Console", which is the one provided with my desktop and allow me to see tv.
* Unfortunately, this program seems unable to allow me to watch TV Direct using SPDIF for the sound output. It's really a shame, because if you "pause" TV DIRECT, then playback with one second of delay, you have the sound on the SPDIF. It's a bit annoying to be abliged to delay TV Direct 🙂
* I have some problems with the mouse : in fact, i think it's not the mouse iself, but the pointer is frozen some times, about 1 or 2 seconds, as if the computers was overloaded. I think it's not a wireless problem, because after the pointer is frozen, it looks like it go quickly to catch again the mouse itself. Do you have any idea ?

Thank you for all your help, and sorry for the loooooooooonnnnnnnnggg message 🙂

Raphaël

6 REPLIES 6
profile.country.GB.title
jammold
Explorer

I think this is one for Kee-Lo. He has used the RA104 and the RA204 just has more hard disks.

Be patient - Kee-Lo has been very busy outside ClubVAIO recently, but he will answer your question soon(ish).:smileygrin:

*Edit*

* In fact, i had installed XP pro, but this done, i can't start the second DVD. Nothing happens when i put it on the DVD player, and when i browse it, i can't find any program i can use to install some applications. So i reinstalled the original XP Home, but it's a shame.

This is a known problem with the Recovery DVD or CD set - it is Sony's policy not to support Windows XP Professional - it sucks but there is nothing me nor anyone else can do about this.

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

i'm writing from France, so, sorry for my english language skill...

Y'a pas de prob avec ca! I speak both :slight_smile:

I've just received a new RA204 desktop machine, and i've got some questions perhaps you know (RA204 is not far from RAxxx USA models, i think) :

Lucky man!

* Do you know how i can restore SPECIFIC applications from the second Sony DVD i have ? after a complete system reinstallation, the second DVD install ALL applications, without asking anything.

I had to laugh when I was looking at this - it's ALL or NOTHING sadly. I thought it was unfair too!

Yeah we had issues with pro, so we said nah leave it and stick with Home..... (XP Family en France)

* I find *.PAC big files on the DVD, some people here are saying those files are to be opened with UNPACK.EXE : i can't find this program anywhere.

We're not allowed to tell you where it is - desole!
But google can help!

* Do you know what's the real TV Tuner card in the computer ? is it a WDM card ? I would like to try other TV Tuner programs than the "VAIO Console", which is the one provided with my desktop and allow me to see tv.

Yes it's a PCI card and it does wake up when the program tells it to (GP lets you go in standby until recordings start)

I see they're ditching Gigapocket for the VAIO Zone now too!

* Unfortunately, this program seems unable to allow me to watch TV Direct using SPDIF for the sound output. It's really a shame, because if you "pause" TV DIRECT, then playback with one second of delay, you have the sound on the SPDIF. It's a bit annoying to be abliged to delay TV Direct 🙂

Yeah this is a problem that has not had a resolution to yet.... we're waiting Sony!

* I have some problems with the mouse : in fact, i think it's not the mouse iself, but the pointer is frozen some times, about 1 or 2 seconds, as if the computers was overloaded. I think it's not a wireless problem, because after the pointer is frozen, it looks like it go quickly to catch again the mouse itself. Do you have any idea ?

Apparently wireless can stop the PC working for a few seconds at a time. If you can get an update (not sure if they did one yet) get it.

Thank you for all your help, and sorry for the loooooooooonnnnnnnnggg message 🙂

Raphaël

Derien !

profile.country.GB.title
jammold
Explorer

Cheers Kee-Lo - I needed some answers myself if we get one:smileypraying:

TygerTyger
Visitor

It's slightly off topic (sorry) but I've seen so so many complaints about people unable to install individual applications, and yesterday trying to test my DVD drive I opened my recovery disk for the first time and lo and behold on the menu is an option to install any of the original software applications individually without recovery.

So why on earth do I appear to be the only person who can do that?

Sinis
Visitor

JamesMold : do you think it will take a long time ?!? 🙂 (french joke, as i already saw Ke-L answer. ...and as i use to say : when a joke need to be explained, you better had to avoid it. So i stop my jokes now)

Kee-Lo : so, i should wait for Sony for both XP Pro support and SPDIF problem resolution. For the unpack.exe, i found it : i found some files in the .PAC (UU and so...), then with another soft i found others (CPAC and so...) but nothing to look with applications i want. So.... i think i'll leave all my nice bundle, and then use my own programs. I really don't want those 90 days programs, 30 days programs and Yahoo Messenger. But thank you very much for your help, and your french language skill 🙂

TygerTyger : i don't want to make you sad, but i'm no sure you are the only one to do that 🙂 : in fact, ONCE you installed ALL programs during system reinstallation, when you put the DVD2 into the computer, a program starts with which you can choose what to install, individually. Which is, probably, some kind of sony's joke ?! 😉

Well, anyway, this desktop is really a quiet one, and that's why i've chosen it. Now, i just need to be able to use it. 🙂

Thank you all for your answers and your help.

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Hehe more than welcome.

The RA204 is a beautiful machine, so with a few extra apps it'll be killer!

Enjoy