Join now - be part of our community!

low volume speakers on a fe21m

raheller
Visitor

low volume speakers on a fe21m

Hi there,
I recently bought a vaio fe21m and I'm overall very happy with my laptop, I've just got one little issue...
I find the volume of the built in speaker(s) very low... the sound of most movie and mp3 files are far from loud. I know laptop speakers are never ideal but with some downloaded movies and even the free hitch/spiderman/s.w.at. dvd that came with the laptop the volume is really unacceptably low... I live in the city centre and when I have my windows open, I can't understand a word... does anyone else experience this problem? is it common for sony vaios? I've had an HP before and despite the 'tinny' quality, the volume was never a problem... could there perhaps be a problem with software or drivers? or should I consider returning the laptop?
please let me know, any help would be very much appreciated!
Robbert

btw, I have of course set all the settings to the loudest!;-)

43 REPLIES 43
Patricia1066
Visitor

thanks bobtastic
its increased the volume by about 5% which is significant. I havent got VLC working for streaming internet radio yet but will try it when I find a manual

steelem
Visitor

many thanks for this fix I had my f21m on 4 bars this morning & got sound before I would have on 10 bars & still no sound so this has made a big difference - I just cannot believe that the volume is set in Bios - how strange - Ill give it a full blast later & post results but so far so good - Sony Admin Pls can you make this post a sticky .....:smileyhappy:

steelem
Visitor

ok so i done some testing & ye its improved but i dont think its that g8 - what do we do is this a manufacturers fault or is it just a s/ware fault anyone else out there thinking this should be better???

Ntrubachev
Visitor

I have SZ2XRP/C and with the same problem: the volume is for about twice lower than of my older notebook. Does this bios hint works with all models or it is FE21M-specific?

steelem
Visitor

its definateley fe21m have a LOOK M8

Aeivan
Visitor

I may be missing something here, but if you're running the sonic stage audio filter why not just pull up an eq plugin in there (e.g. the sony oxford eq), then engage and crank all the sliders to full.
Hey presto .. much louder sound .. affecting any and all applicattions that are sending out sound. No need to mess on with other media players or BIOS settings ?

tomeaves
Visitor

I have exactly the same complaint with my FE31z.

Sound is crazy low which makes watching a DVD almost impossible.

Second to the laptop seems to have the loudest DVD drive ever. When spinning at the speed needed to play the movie it sounds like the disc is rattling. I have tried a number of discs and the result is the same.

This couppled with the low sounds makes what is adertised as a top end media machine pretty rubbish in my opinion!

Anyone else got a FE31z and having simplar problems?

profile.country.en_GB.title
robpaxton
Explorer

Try using PowerDVD and use the setting for noisy environments & notebooks. This will significantly increase the sound volume when watching a DVD.

steelem
Visitor

i was in the office last night when i heard a boom = the guy next to me was playing a dvd on an old dell laptop & i said Fxxx thats loud & we then played the dvd on my fe21m we both looked at each other in disgust - the 8/8 has turned it up but the sound just aint good enough - im now gonna speak with sony as i think this is a manufacturers fault

steelem
Visitor

ok ive now put my problem to e support - i suggest all other users who have this problem do the same - as i cannot see this is a software error - i feel its down to hardware ...