Join now - be part of our community!

low volume speakers on a fe21m

raheller
Visitor

low volume speakers on a fe21m

Hi there,
I recently bought a vaio fe21m and I'm overall very happy with my laptop, I've just got one little issue...
I find the volume of the built in speaker(s) very low... the sound of most movie and mp3 files are far from loud. I know laptop speakers are never ideal but with some downloaded movies and even the free hitch/spiderman/s.w.at. dvd that came with the laptop the volume is really unacceptably low... I live in the city centre and when I have my windows open, I can't understand a word... does anyone else experience this problem? is it common for sony vaios? I've had an HP before and despite the 'tinny' quality, the volume was never a problem... could there perhaps be a problem with software or drivers? or should I consider returning the laptop?
please let me know, any help would be very much appreciated!
Robbert

btw, I have of course set all the settings to the loudest!;-)

43 REPLIES 43
steelem
Visitor

Ok chaps had been reading these colums for myconcerns on volume of my fe21m & have been testing for some time - seemed to be ok via headphones but sound was tinny & not loud via speakers - so I got Sony to collect my laptop - I have just found out that they have replaced mothereboad & also the keyboard cover - which is just fantastic news as i nknew something was wrong - can only suggest ppl to do the same if they have probs.. p.s you shouldnt need to use vlc media player to get the volume up!!!

steelem
Visitor

by the way i have to applaud sony on there great service - they collected my laptop last thrusday & i get it back today - thats 4 days & we had a weekend -

sashley
Visitor

Please make allowances for a newbie ! I iInadvertently replied to another thread on this. I've just got this FE31Z and wondered in isolation why my kids preferred watching DVDs on their 1/3 price compaqs. I found out that the sound was not loud enough. Eventually found this community & thread and now use the acceleration options in the Sonic Stage mastering SW which indeed increased the volume. However this thing is now scaring the kids with a high pitched whine whenever the Mic is not muted. Is it just me or was I setting my expectations too high in thinking this notebook should be at the top of the pile across a range of functions and I shouldn't have to be playing around with volume settings/ add ons to make it a useable DVD/entertainment player? I didn't have to with the kids compaqs at christmas Is the going advice to return it and request support?
Thanks

SpySect
Visitor

Please make allowances for a newbie ! I iInadvertently replied to another thread on this. I've just got this FE31Z and wondered in isolation why my kids preferred watching DVDs on their 1/3 price compaqs. I found out that the sound was not loud enough. Eventually found this community & thread and now use the acceleration options in the Sonic Stage mastering SW which indeed increased the volume. However this thing is now scaring the kids with a high pitched whine whenever the Mic is not muted. Is it just me or was I setting my expectations too high in thinking this notebook should be at the top of the pile across a range of functions and I shouldn't have to be playing around with volume settings/ add ons to make it a useable DVD/entertainment  player? I didn't have to with the kids compaqs at christmas Is the going advice to return it and request support?
Thanks

Try lowering the volume of the Microphone in teh Volume Control Settings