Join now - be part of our community!

Matshita UJ-810 DVD Burning Problems

dizara
Visitor

Matshita UJ-810 DVD Burning Problems

Hello Guys,

Recently I installed SP2 before instaling Sony patches for my Vaio PCV-W1 only to find out later that I was supposed to do it the other way around.

Probably coincidently, at the same time I discovered that I could not burn DVDs either using "Click to DVD" or other non-Sony programmes. I thought that was because of the SP2.

I then did the clean recovery from the Sony recovery CD in the hope that SP2 was the main culprit but then I discovered that the problem persisted.

Funny enough, it does not burn DVDs manufactured by its own Sony brand, Maxell or other reputable brands. In the sheer desparation I tried Fuji DVD and it did burn the DVD.

I also cleaned the lens ensuring that it was not because of the dirty lens, because I could not understand why it would burn on Fuji and not on Sony or Maxell DVDs. Furthermore, I tested those very DVDs on some other PCV-W1 and they worked.

And yes I have also updaded the latest firmware for that particular CD/DVD drive.

Anybody has any idea what is happening? Many thanks!!!

12 REPLIES 12
profile.country.de_DE.title
seb21__
Visitor

Take the drive and throw it against a wall.:smileyfrustrated:
Then take the drive, go to the reseller where you have bought your VAIO.
Put the drive into his mouth and now you must scream.

I WANT A VAIO WITHOUT MATSHITA DRIVE!

seb21__
Visitor

Don't forget to scream.

I WANT A NEC DRIVE

GBS
Visitor

Seb - ROFLMFAO

But very good advice none the less. I'm waiting for my matSHITa to die....as they appear to be pretty fussy pieces of c**p.

seb21__
Visitor

The Madshit is the poorest drive of the world. Type in "Matshita UJ-810" into Google and you find only problems. The problems are ever the same.

I don't why Sony use this drive. Ignorance? What is Matshita? Have they a Internet site?

dizara:

If you have bought your VAIO for some weeks, then send it back and get a other one. If not, then forget the pain of a repair. Buy a other drive.

The drives from NEC are excellent. But before, you must check what for a sort of drive you need. A slimline or standard drive. "example"

The price seems to be high, but a repair isn't cheaper unless you are within warranty. But then you would get the same poor drive.

seb21__
Visitor

BTW: the only DVDs which seems to be work are from Verbatim.

That underline the poor recognition rate of the Madshit drive.

dizara
Visitor

Guys, thanks a lot for your enlightening advice. My worst dream seem to have came through. I suspected it was the "Mad-shit" drive but wasn't sure.

You are right about that company not having even a website. Apparently Matshita is a Panasonic division. Well, enough about them.

If I have to get a new drive would you know:

1) if I can in that case install a DVD +/- with double layer drive without some complicated adjusment

2) if I can replace it myself? I used to do it before on my laptop but on my PCV-W1 I can't see any screws being right behind the screen.

3) according to EU law aparently you have got 2 years guarantee but they never tell you that. I have to find out that as my W1 is 18 months old

many thanks / nice day.

Alex

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Hi Alex,

The only thing you can do is have it repaired by Sony under warranty, or find a local repairer

dizara
Visitor

Hi Kee-Lo,

Yes I agree. I have just phoned the Sony support and they think the same. If I go through them it would set me back around £300 so I thought I would be better off buying the drive on the e-bay. :slight_frown:

The support man told me that I could replace my DVD- Drive with DVD+/- Double Layer so at least something positive. :slight_smile:

The only thing is that I don't know whether I would have to dismantle the whole PC in order to replace the drive as I can't see any screws holding the drive behind that screen. :thinking:

Best, Alex

seb21__
Visitor

The only thing is that I don't know whether I would have to dismantle the whole PC in order to replace the drive as I can't see any screws holding the drive behind that screen.

That is the problem. I can't help you there. In a normal desktop PC it wouldn't a problem to replace the drive.:smileysad: