Join now - be part of our community!

Noisy K415B

simonp
Visitor

Noisy K415B

Hi,

I've had my PCG-K415B just over a week now and am finding it very noisy - mainly from the fans which presumably are for the processor. Is this normal? I've spoken to Sony support and they suggested I reinstall the utilities, which I've done, but this has made no difference.

I understand that this model, with a desktop processor, is likely to get fairly warm but I didn't expect it to have the fan on all the time.

Thanks in advance for your opinions.

Simon

21 REPLIES 21
profile.country.de_DE.title
seb21__
Visitor

The problem is the CPU. I have a PCG-FR315S with P4 2666MHz desktop CPU. And the fan runs every time.

But you can check the temperature with mobilemeter.

http://www.geocities.co.jp/SiliconValley-Oakland/8259/

Below 50 degrees should be normal. More than 70 degrees is critical.

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

I've spoken to Sony support and they suggested I reinstall the utilities

Another extremely helpful suggestion from support. I wonder what number this is in the manual:smileyconfused:

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
seb21__
Visitor

Another extremely helpful suggestion from support. I wonder what number this is in the manual

:slight_frown:

simonp
Visitor

Well I've checked the temperature using mobmeter and it seems to be running at 55oC ish.

Does this sound normal and not fault like?

Thanks again

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

55 is fine for your model.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
simonp
Visitor

Fair enough, cheers for your advice.

Are the VGN-FS series (215E to be exact) quieter? Presumably they are given they have notebook processors.

seb21__
Visitor

Yes the CPU in your VAIO produce approw 10 watts more heat. That's why it could be normal.

Keep the fan clean, play not to long games, keep the temperature below 70 degrees.

It is a very hot CPU for a laptop.:smileysad:

seb21__
Visitor

*oops, double post*:smileyblush:

seb21__
Visitor

Are the VGN-FS series (215E to be exact) quieter? Presumably they are given they have notebook processors.

Be carefully with the FS series. There are some problems with the FS115 series. If you want buy an FS, then buy the FS215Z with AV docking station.
Be carefully with the hook. The battery livetime is below 2 hours. Without the problems of the FS115S serie, it could be a nice laptop, IMO.