Join now - be part of our community!

Memory upgrades

ajohn
Visitor

Memory upgrades

Hello,

Does anyone have the VGN-AR51SU, and has anyone upgraded the memory the RAM to 4GB. I am contemplating doing it (put note that it will cost around £700 to do it leaving me with two redundant 1gb memory chips) My concern is that i have read that the vaio or maybe operating system may only support up to 3gb. Can anyone help / offer some advice.

Thanks in advance
Aj

5 REPLIES 5
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi ajohn,

welcome to Club Vaio.. :slight_smile:

It will only cost £58.27inc. VAT for 2 x 2gb memory modules from crucial.com.. :slight_smile:

A large number of Club Vaio members have bought extra RAM from crucial.com, also an added benefit from buying from Crucial is their memory compatibility guarantee. To visit Crucial.com use this link: Crucial.com

If you need a guide on how to upgrade the RAM on your Vaio, then click the following link: How do upgrade my Vaio's memory ?

ajohn
Visitor

Hello Thalamus & thank you for your reply.

This might seem a bit of a daft question but will it work just as well as the sony memory. And if so how come sony charge so much - is that just because it's sony??

Obviously there is huge price difference so it is not as major issue if it doesn't

Also another perhaps 'blonde' question, my new lap top gets really hot, like to hot to touch sometimes - is that normal? It is brand new (one week old infact - and is the second one i have had- first one was faulty). Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi ajohn,

Yes it should work equally as well as the Sony RAM but at a fraction of the price.. :wink:

As I mentioned earlier several Club Vaio members have used Crucial.com RAM successfully over the years..

ajohn
Visitor

Hello Thalamus,

Sorry to bother you again,

Following your advice i have purchased the Crucial memory and installed it.

However Windows Vista only recognises 3gb of it (the bios indicates 4gig). Is there anyway i can reconfigure vista to recognise and use all of it??

Thank you inadvance for your time

BRegards
Ajohn

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi ajohn,

The 32 bit version of Vista can only handle a maximum of 4GB of RAM..

The reason that the maximum 4GB of RAM is not shown is due to Vista allocating RAM to devices such as graphics cards etc..

However as you have installed matching 2GB memory modules your Vaio will benefit from the performance advantages offered by dual-channel support.. :wink:

I'm aware of a reports that this can be bypassed but it does not appear to work.. :slight_frown: