Join now - be part of our community!

Missing Partition

cathyuk
Visitor

Missing Partition

Hi all

Not sure if anyone can help only I have got problem with my Sony Vaio FE28H laptop. I have not been unable to make any recovery disks as it comes back the partition on my laptop is missing and I wondered if it is possible to recover it and if so how? Also cannot use the system restore due to the same problem, thanks in advance for your help.

11 REPLIES 11
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi cathyuk and welcome to Club Vaio.

Check if the Recovery Patition is still there:

Start -> Right-click My Computer -> Manage -> Disc Management

Do you see a Recovery Partition?

Do you have Norton GoBack installed?

:thinking:

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi Cathyuk,

Welcome to Club vaio, :slight_smile:

Have a look at this similar thread..

cathyuk
Visitor

Hi

Thanks for all your replies, gone into Disc Management it says got 3 Partitions C/D blank one
Partition - Basic - NTFS - Healthy
Vaio - Partition - Basic - NTFS - Healthy
Vaio - Partition - Basic - NTFS - Healthy

Don't see anything about Recovery Partition I have got Norton GoBack, also laptop saying My D/Drive is full which is not possible. And thanks again for your help

Cathy

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Cathy,

The problem is that Norton GoBack is incompatible with the EISA Recovery Partition.

If you Uninstall GoBack you will be able to access your Recovery Partition and make your Recovery Discs.

You can reinstall GoBack afterwards is you use it.

:wink:

cathyuk
Visitor

Hi Cathy,

The problem is that Norton GoBack is incompatible with the EISA Recovery Partition.

If you Uninstall GoBack you will be able to access your Recovery Partition and make your Recovery Discs.

Thanks I've try that I've never knew that was causing the problem, will that also fix the problem with the D/Drive saying its full?

Cathy

apierc1
Visitor

Hmm, when I had Go Back installed it completyely removed the recovery partition as it acts in the same way it was a case of either Go back or the recovery position, although my recovery DVDs worked fine with Go Back installed, just it was not installed once the system was recovered, and it shouldn't cause the 😧 drive to be full, so is weird if it isn't full and it's saying it is, unless you have used quite a bit and it could do with a defrag to optimise the remaining space (perhaps whatever you're trying to do can't fit as there is no one area of continous space avaliable on the 😧 drive?)

Andy

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Don't know Cathy - you will have to try it but I would have expected your drive 😧 to be NFTS. After removing GoBack, have another look in Disc Mananement and see what it says is used and what is free - expand the window to the right

The problem is that in order to track changes and restore data on your Vaio, GoBack changes all partition types to NFTS. The Vaio Recovery Utility needs the Recovery Partition to be in a special EISA configuration.

cathyuk
Visitor

Hi

Thanks everyone for all your help I was able to make the recovery discs... One more question I was wondering if anyone knew how to back up data onto CD when I try it on Backup it says removable storage not running and the Backup Utility cannot connect to storage service. Does anyone know how I can switch it on so I can make backup discs? Thanks in advance for your help..

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi cathyuk,

‘Windows Backup’ does not support backing up to CD media unless you first format the CD. Have a look here for further guidance.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat