Join now - be part of our community!

Mousepad

djwoody
Visitor

Mousepad

Hi.

The movement on my touchpad is moving fine, however, when i tap it, it does not act like a left mouse click like it used to.

Can anyone help?

Chris

5 REPLIES 5
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Chris,

Is Device manager, under Mice and other Pointing Devices, reporting a PS/2 Pointing Device or a PS/2 Mouse?

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
djwoody
Visitor

Yes its reporting a Logitech PS2 mouse (I usually use this mouse when i use the laptop at home).

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

The touchpad is a PS/2 device and unfortunately you can only have a single instance of this device. Each time you plug in a PS/2 mouse the touchpad drivers are overwritten.

Have a look at this thread for guidance on restoring the drivers.

I suggest that you get a USB mouse if you don’t want to have to repeat the procedure on a regular basis.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
djwoody
Visitor

I have got a USB mouse, but in device manager it says "Logitech-compatible Mouse PS/2"

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Device Manager should list a HID compliant mouse (your USB device) and a PS/2 Pointing Device (the touchpad).

Is the mouse both USB and PS/2 compatible? If so and you have installed supplied drivers then this may explain the problem.

Have you tried updating the drivers (without the mouse attached) as per the link that I provided? If that fails to work then I suggest you delete the Logitech-compatible Mouse PS/2 and re-boot without the mouse attached.

When the Found New Hardware Wizard installs the drivers for the touchpad make sure that you point it in the direction of the Pointing folder of the pre-installed drivers for your model (see link above).

Once you are sure that a PS/2 Pointing Device is listed and working correctly plug in the USB mouse and let Windows install the drivers (if necessary point it in the direction of C:\Windows\inf). Hopefully msmouse.inf will contain the necessary information to install native drivers for your mouse.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat