Join now - be part of our community!

MY PCG GRX616MP IS SUDDENLY OUT OF ORDER

lyli
Visitor

MY PCG GRX616MP IS SUDDENLY OUT OF ORDER

After a quick with message on a blus screen myy vaio went out of order. The screen is black, the on led lights green the fan is on and the DD doesn't start.
please if anyone knows what happens or how to do to start it again please your welcome.

13 REPLIES 13
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

I am afraid that this sounds like the dreaded GRX memory slot problem.

Try powering down, remove the battery and then open up the memory compartment on the underside of your notebook. Remove the module from Slot 2 (closest to the back), then replace the battery and try powering up again.

If this doesn’t work try replacing the module in slot 2 and remove the module in slot 1.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

After a quick with message on a blus screen myy vaio went out of order. The screen is black, the on led lights green the fan is on and the DD doesn't start.
please if anyone knows what happens or how to do to start it again please your welcome.

Hi lyli,

Welcome to the forum,

Have you managed to shut your system down or is it still running?

lyli
Visitor

Hi Thalamus,
The system went down by itself.
I'll give the full story.
After using it for three years now, suddenly when starting the vaio, I received on the screen a white message on a blue screen. I don't remember the message I only recall that it recommanded to restart if it was the first time that message appeared.
I did so and then the green on/off light went on the fan I hear it running, the DVD-CD/R runs also, but the screen stays black and the Hard Disk doens't run (the led is off). and nothing happens.
How can I get it to work back again?? Please Help.

lyli
Visitor

thanks rich912,
the memory test have been done with no success.
Even though the memory sticks on my VAIO have been tested on another notebook and worked.
so we must look some were else.
thanks
Lyli

William
Visitor

thanks rich912,
the memory test have been done with no success.
Even though the memory sticks on my VAIO have been tested on another notebook and worked.
so we must look some were else.
thanks
Lyli

Unless I have read the earlier posts wrongly this is exactly the result Rich expected (unfortunately).

Your memory is fine but the soldering of the memory slots to the motherboard is not.

As both slots are "gone" it is likely that one stopped working a while ago and you have have only had one working until now.

Of course it could be something else but this is the common and infamous GRX problem.

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

I'm afraid all signs point to poor soldering

Not sure where you can get it fixed

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Unless I have read the earlier posts wrongly this is exactly the result Rich expected (unfortunately).

I had hoped that at least one slot would be working William, but yes I am 99% certain that it is the age old memory slot soldering problem:smileysad:

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Makes me very nervous reading these posts :anguished: :slight_frown: :worried:

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

As a short term workaround for this problem and to possibly confirm the diagnosis, you could try placing a thin piece of card between the memory modules and the compartment door to apply some pressure between the memory slot connections and the motherboard. I have heard that this will work in the short term, assuming that this is indeed the problem.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat