my vio wont restart from command prompt

my vio wont restart from command prompt im running wondows vista

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi dawtrimm,

Your model shipped with a 500GB Serial ATA drive with a form factor of 2.5” x 9.5mm thick and a spindle speed of 7200 rpm.

You will find plenty of suppliers on line including Amazon.

I am unfamiliar with your model, or any all-in-one, so cannot advise on the ease of fitting. I have heard that opening the rear casing is a bit tricky!

You will not be able to order a set of recovery media from Sony other than the original OS that came pre-installed.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi dawtrimm,

From your question it is difficult to understand exactly what the problem is – can you provide more detail.

Does the notebook boot at all – if not do you see the Vaio logo and at what stage does the OS loading process fail?

What command prompt are you referring to?

Which model do you have?

Any other details of the problem...

Rich.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
profile.country.en_GB.title
dawtrimm
Visitor

hi ive got a all in one desktop model js2ep no when i press the power on button it just says no operating system found im lost 

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi dawtrimm,

Assuming that the boot goes as far as the Vaio logo can you check that the Hard Drive is recognised in BIOS – tap F2 at boot, when you see the Vaio logo to enter the BIOS?

If it is recognised you can try a repair.

First try tapping F8 at boot when you see the vaio logo and select the repair option.

If that doesn’t help then download a Windows Vista Recovery disk and burn the ISO to DVD.

Instructions for using the recovery disk can be found here – follow the instructions for Windows Vista installation disc.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-vista/startup-repair-frequently-asked-questions

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
dawtrimm
Visitor

rich i could get into bios but when i tried f8 it told me operating system again, i have no access to a credit card what can i do will sony send me the recovery disk help 

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi dawtrimm,

Was the hard drive recognised by the BIOS?

If F8 fails to work it would suggest a Hard Drive problem. You could try tapping F10 to enter the HDD recovery utility but the chances are that this will also fail.

Again you could try downloading the Windows Vista Recovery Disk (it is a free download) and try booting from this to initiate a repair.

Sony Support will provide the recovery media that will return your machine to factory settings but there is a charge. If the HDD is faulty the recovery media will not work.

Try the Windows Vista Recovery Disk first.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
dawtrimm
Visitor

yes it recognised it and then when i exit that screen wouldnt let me do the f8 f10 wont do anything i went with the link u sent and it said it charges 10 dollars and will be active for two days how much would sony charge how much is a new hard disk too and where would i get one from \\\\\\😞

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi dawtrimm,

They must have started charging recently – it was free.

Try the following link:

http://digiex.net/downloads/download-center-2-0/applications/956-windows-vista-32-bit-x86-recovery-d...

I’m unsure of the current cost of recovery media from Sony but it will probably not be less than £50.

A new HDD will cost anything from £35 upward depending in size and manufacturer.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
dawtrimm
Visitor

a)can u recommend a place to get hard drives and if im looking out for one which one shall i get r they easy to install

b) if i ask for a restart disk can i upgrade to windows 7 i need my computer fast tbh 

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi dawtrimm,

Your model shipped with a 500GB Serial ATA drive with a form factor of 2.5” x 9.5mm thick and a spindle speed of 7200 rpm.

You will find plenty of suppliers on line including Amazon.

I am unfamiliar with your model, or any all-in-one, so cannot advise on the ease of fitting. I have heard that opening the rear casing is a bit tricky!

You will not be able to order a set of recovery media from Sony other than the original OS that came pre-installed.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat